Mission, Vision & Values
We cultivate success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation.
The Vision of Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly Pomona will be the model for an inclusive polytechnic university that inspires creativity and innovation, embraces local and global challenges, and transforms lives.
- Academic Excellence – We demonstrate academic quality, relevance, and excellence through our teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities with student centered faculty in an evidence-based culture.
- Experiential Learning – Our polytechnic identity fosters an integrative approach to education through collaboration, discovery, learn-by-doing, and innovation. Our approach encourages reflection, informed risk-taking, and continuous learning.
- Student Learning and Success – We are deeply committed to educational experiences and supportive services that engage our students, enhance personal well-being and growth, provide career opportunities, and foster ethical citizenship.
- Inclusive – Our diversity across multiple dimensions reflects and enhances our community. We are welcoming and respectful, and we value diversity.
- Community Engagement – We nurture mutually beneficial and meaningful relationships with community partners and stakeholders.
- Social and Environmental Responsibility – As global citizens, our individual and collective actions reflect our commitment to one another, society, and the environment.
Through participating in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities, the graduates of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, will develop competencies to become:
Practitioners: Equipped with a foundation for growth and professional success
- communication skills - using verbal, written, visual and listening skills to communicate persuasively and coherently
- interpersonal skills - demonstrating teamwork and leadership skills to achieve common goals
- disciplinary learning - applying, integrating, and adapting fundamental information, concepts, theories and methods in their principal disciplines
Integrative Thinkers: Able to apply their knowledge and skills to future challenges and opportunities
- critical thinking - thinking clearly and logically to evaluate ideas, analyze and interpret information, and draw inferences through reasoning
- problem solving - identifying, formulating, , investigating, and solving quantitative and qualitative problems effectively and creatively
- information literacy - locating, assessing, using and communicating qualitative, quantitative and scientific information, among a wide variety of sources, methods, and tools
- integrating and transferring learning - making connections across disciplines and between current and new knowledge, and applying that knowledge in professional and community life
Model Leaders: Taking an active role as a citizen in a diverse multicultural environment
- ethical understanding - applying ethical considerations in professional, personal and social life
- liberal learning - demonstrating knowledge and appreciation of the physical and natural world, and of the development and legacies of diverse world cultures
- global citizenship - understanding the responsibilities of being a global citizen and the role of civic engagement in fostering a democratic society
- intentional learning - employing self-knowledge of the social and cognitive factors influencing their learning to engage in ongoing reflection and exploration for the purpose of personal development
- lifelong learning - pursuing educational interests from previous learning outside classroom requirements indicating intellectual curiosity, energy, and passion in the expansion of knowledge, understanding, and abilities.
Cal Poly Pomona launched a new strategic planning initiative in winter quarter 2016. The Strategic Planning website has been launched, giving the campus community an opportunity to share vital input as Cal Poly Pomona charts a course for the next several years.