Graphic Communications Services offers a complete Records Management Service. Records can be stored at the State Records Center (SRC) in Sacramento with a retrieval time of 5-7 working days. Frequently used files should not be stored at SRC. A Records Transfer Form Std. 71 should be completed and forwarded to Daiken Fiore for document pick-up and processing.
Location: Building 5, Room 221
Request a Transfer List number via e-mail to email@example.com to include how many boxes you would like to send to storage.
• Complete a "Records Transfer List" (PDF) (STD. 71) form
• Records Management will assign a Records Transfer List number(s)
• Order the appropriate size and type of box (see ordering storage boxes)
• Mark each box appropriately (see marking boxes)
• E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org when boxes are ready for pick-up
• Send the "Records Transfer List" form to Records Management in Graphic Communications Services
Records Transfer List (DOC)
Records Transfer List (PDF)
See the sample "Records Transfer List" form below.
• The following information should be completed on the Records Transfer List:
- Department name
- Destruction date (year and quarter - Example: 2008/3). Please refer to "Retention Schedule Guidelines"
- Destruction method, if confidential
- Box number
- Description of records* (double space between entries)
- Years covered
- Signatures at the bottom of form (records forwarded by and approved by).
- Approval number should say Exempt.
* Please note : Only one name/title can be entered on the transfer list per box for the description of the records. If you choose to list contents, attach a separate sheet. However, a content list is NOT required and should be retained by the originating department.
The agency billing code for Cal Poly is 20310.
- Size : 10"h x 12"w x 15"d
- Type : Archive boxes must be light tan in color (wood grain boxes will not be accepted). The appropriate boxes are available through Office Max item # P512770.
- Lids must fit securely. (Do NOT include any hanging folders)
- Boxes will NOT be accepted if the requirements are not met.
- On one END of the box, print clearly with black marker:
- The assigned TL#, and
- The box number(s).
- Printing should not exceed three (3) inches in height.
- Please do not put additional information on the box. Do not write on the other three sides.
- Boxes will NOT be accepted if marked incorrectly. If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please call Daiken Fiore at x3298 or email her at email@example.com
Please click here to see a sample of the archive box (PDF) with TL and box numbers.
Forward the completed "Records Transfer List" (DOC) form to Daiken Fiore, Graphic Communications Services.
• Records Transfer Lists are reviewed and a Transfer List Number assigned. You will be notified of the number. This number should be printed on the box. (see marking boxes)
• Contact Records Management (x3298) to arrange for pick-up when your boxes have been appropriately marked. Pick-ups are made as quickly as possible; however, they are based on staff availability.
• Archive boxes are staged in Building 5-221, until shipping arrangements are made.
• Once an archive box is shipped and received at the SRC in Sacramento , a copy of the department's Records Transfer List with the assigned SCR number(s) will be forwarded to the originating department. One copy is retained in the Records Management area.
• SRC will notify Records Management when archive boxes have reached their destruction date. Departments are then notified via a memo asking if they want the records destroyed or the date extended.
- Records Transfer List number
- Box number
- State Records Center number
- File name (if applicable)
- Contact person and phone #
Keep in mind it takes 5-7 working days to retrieve a file.
Current schedules can be found at the Records/Information Retention and Disposition website www.calstate.edu/recordsretention/ .
The DGS records retention website is http://www.osp.dgs.ca.gov/recs/49gut2.htm