This slideshow contains 8 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
College of Letters Arts and Social Science
Admission for FALL QUARTER
- opens in fall (November and December) of the prior year and closes on June 1 of the year the applicant is seeking admission to our program. The exception to the rule is admissions to fall 2017.
Fall 2017 applications are due MAY 31st.
- support documentation (official transcripts, etc.) needs to be submitted by JULY 1st of the application year for entry in fall quarter. The exception to this rule is fall 2017 when all documents are due by JUNE 30th
- For admissions in WINTER quarter, apply on or before Nov. 1st and assure that all documentation is at Cal Poly Pomona by Nov. 20.
If you are interested in a career in the public service, then visit: Services Careers.Org. This new site is dedicated to the public sector. Best of all, it’s free to use for job searches. There is no cost to MPA/MPPs.
The learning outcomes of the Masters in Public Administration program is scholarship and professional excellence with regard to: Academic Abilities, Leadership and Team Skills, Ethics and Professional Standards, Public Service / Management, Professional Growth and Continuing Education
Recommended Preparation for the MPA program
An applicant for admission to the MPA program must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited American college or university and satisfy university requirements for admission to graduate study. Although the bachelor's degree may be in any discipline, the applicant is advised that these courses or their equivalents are helpful prerequisites:
- Introduction to Public Administration
- Public Organizations or Introduction to Public Policy
Application Steps and Criteria
To promote excellence in governance by developing the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for careers in government and not-for-profit agencies. The program seeks to develop the following competencies in students:
- Students with an overall GPA of 3.4 are automatically admitted to the MPA program based on the CSU Mentor Application, application fee and official transcripts from the awarding college or university issuing the BA/BS degree.
All other applicants need to submit GRE scores. For information about the dates, times and locations for taking GRE please contact on line: PROMETRIC at http://www.ets.org/gre
- GRE preparation information may be found at https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/tips/
As a general rule the GRE test is offered somewhere in CA. every work day. For specific locations and times you will need to register for the exam at the PROMETRIC site to find a date, time and location that is convenient for you.
Exceptions to these criteria may be extended in some cases after consideration by a department admission's committee. Applicants must demonstrate a clear cause for an exception to the department's criteria.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Department of Political Science, MPA program:
- a statement of the applicant's reasons for wanting to pursue the MPA degree
- two letters of recommendation from prior academic instructors or from persons directly knowledgeable of the applicant's professional work experience.
- GRE scores
A TOEFL score of 580 or better is required for admission of international students to the program. IELTS score of 6.5 may be substituted for a passing TOEFL score.
The MPA Graduate Coordinator notifies the Graduate Office of admissions or denials.Links to Application and Information
- Cal State Apply (will begin June 2017 for applications winter 2018)
- International Student Admissions Information