Is your long-range goal a PhD, MD, DDS, or other post-baccalaureate degrees? Are you obtaining a bachelor's degree at Cal Poly Pomona and working on prerequisite coursework to apply to professional school? The Graduate and Pre-Professional Advisings are intended to offer you individual personal assistance in careers in post-baccalaureate programs. Many services and advising areas are offered to Cal Poly Pomona students.
John Chan, PhD.
Professor and Pre-Professional. Advisor
The followings are offered to interested Cal Poly Pomona students:
- Pre-professional curriculum planning
- Advice on activities (internship, admission test, etc) and time-tables for Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior
- Provide information on job outlook, employment opportunities, earnings and future working conditions
- Identify highly recommended courses
- Help with development of a personal statement
- Help with local internship opportunities
- Provide mock interview experience
- Advise and assist with application procedures
- Maintain individual application files at Cal Poly Pomona
- Pre-professional General Academic Petition
- Advice on academic and admission prerequisites for graduate schools
The advising areas include:
Each program and each Institution has its own prerequisites. The general admission prerequisites include the following:
- 1 year of English
- 1 year of general (inorganic) chemistry with laboratory
- 1 year of organic chemistry with laboratory
- 1 year of general biology with laboratory
- 1 year of physics with laboratory
- Highly recommended courses include Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Molecular Biology and Physiology
For more information, you can make an appointment with Dr. Chan during regular office hours.