Office of Equity and Compliance


Gender-Inclusive Initiatives

Cal Poly Pomona strives to ensure a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for all students and employees.


Our current process is consistent with the CSU requirements. Legal name is used for HR records and the name must match the name in the SCO (State Controller’s Office) system. An employee requesting name change can do so by submitting the following forms to HR:

A Customer Service Center Representative, available by telephone at extension 3733, can help you identify which form to use. To file your name change, please take your completed form to the Customer Service Center, located in Student Services Building (SSB) 121-West-2700. You will need to bring your Bronco Card for identification and your new Social Security Card for verification purposes.

To change and/or update your display name on the online directory, faculty/staff may do so through Bronco411.

Preferred First and Middle Name Change

A preferred name is a name commonly used that differs from an individual’s legal first name. Students’ preferred first name may be used for class rosters, appear on BroncoDirect, online Directory Information, Canvas, student identification card, and name on the student’s email. It may also be disclosed as directory information unless the student declines to permit such disclosure. All official documents including but not limited to transcripts, payroll records, and financial aid documents will include a student’s legal name.

Student can typically use any preferred first or middle name. A preferred first and middle name must consist of alphabetical characters, hyphens, and spaces. Cal Poly Pomona reserves the right to deny or remove, with or without notice, a preferred first and middle name, if it is used for inappropriate purposes including but not limited to misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligation, offensive or derogatory language, or to perpetrate fraud. Inappropriate use of a preferred name may be a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and will be referred to the Dean of Students Office. To submit a preferred first and middle name, view instructions through Student Center in BroncoDirect.

You can update your preferred first and middle name in Student Center:

1.  Log in to MyCPP and open the Self-Service - Student Center within BroncoDirect

2.  Click Personal Information

3.  Select My Name

  1.  Under Preferred Name, click on the Edit button.
  2.  Enter your Preferred First Name and Preferred Middle Name.
  3.  If you do not have a preferred First or Middle Name, leave the field BLANK. 
    1. Do not enter a period (.) or any other symbol, as the request will be denied.
  4.  Note:  Last Name cannot be edit through Self-Service.

4.  Click Save. 

5.  After the confirmation page pops-up, click OK.

Your request will be processed in 3-business days.

Having access to a comfortable and safe public restroom should not be a luxury. Transgender, gender nonconforming, and gender questioning (TGQQ) people often face the burden of being confronted or questioned about which gender's restroom they should use. In a study conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality (2015) of transgender Americans, 59% of respondents reported avoiding using a public restroom, and 24% had their presence challenged. TGQQ people deserve the privilege to use restrooms in public without having to make a choice that invalidates their identity. Single-stall and multi-stall all-gender restrooms achieve that purpose.

Gender inclusive, unisex restrooms provide facilities that can be inclusive to all individuals, regardless of their gender identity or presentation. The presence of single-occupancy and unisex restrooms may additionally be of importance to those with disabilities, those with caretakers, and families. 

Single-stall/gender-inclusive restrooms

Gender-Inclusive Housing is one of the ways Cal Poly Pomona University Housing Services supports students who identify as transgender, genderqueer, or gender questioning (TGQQ). The gender-inclusive housing may be a good fit for you if you consider yourself supportive of or a member of the TGQQ community and are comfortable having a roommate of any gender identity or expression. Offering this option continues our efforts to create accepting and comfortable communities for all students living within University Housing Services. These are available in the Residence Halls and in the Residential Suites. 

Contact: 909-869-3307