Cal Poly Pomona’s University Archives collects, organizes, preserves, and makes available archival materials documenting the history of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Learn more about the history of Cal Poly Pomona and resources.
Correspondence, articles, book manuscripts, subject files, notes, printed matter, and realia pertaining to the writings of Cal Poly Pomona Professor Emerita and noted poet Virginia Hamilton Adair (1913-2004).
Dr. Gertrude C. Boland was a Cal Poly Pomona professor from 1957 to 1978. She was one of the first female faculty members at Cal Poly Pomona and also served as the acting dean for the School of Arts. Her collection contains memos from Cal Poly President Robert Kramer and other faculty members, an agenda of an economics committee meeting, clippings about Boland and other topics, and a resolution naming Boland a "Professor Emeritus."
The collection contains postcards promoting art exhibits, educational programs, services, and events at and near the Cal Poly Pomona Downtown Center. The center was established by Cal Poly Pomona's College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences and served as a place for community-based programs and art exhibits from 2000 to 2009.
The collection contains audio recordings of interviews of faculty at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona on general interest topics for a series known as Cal Poly Views. The interviews were broadcast weekly on the radio station KWOW-AM.
The Cal Poly Women's Club was a campus organization established by the wives of faculty and staff which operated on and off campus from 1946 to 1998. While working to promote the University through social and cultural events, and fostering lifelong friendships, the Club's main objective was to raise funds for various scholarships offered to students who contributed to Cal Poly Pomona through leadership and service. The funds were raised by Club-hosted events held annually, such as the fashion and quilt shows. The Cal Poly Women's Club also held welcome dinners at the beginning of each school year for all faculty and their spouses, until the number of guests grew too large. The collection includes administrative records; newsletters produced by the Club, materials on scholarship; and photographs, scrapbooks, and realia.
The collection contains photographs, flyers, event schedules, clippings, newsletters, booklets, and other materials pertaining to Associated Students Incorporated (ASI), the non-profit corporation and student government organization at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona; campus events; and the university.
Cal Poly Pomona's athletics program began 1939 when the school formed a baseball team. In the following decades, a number of sports have been introduced for both men and women including basketball, track, cross country, volleyball, and tennis. The collection includes photographs, papers, memorabilia, and audiovisual recordings documenting the students, staff, and various teams that have participated in Cal Poly Pomona's athletic programs.
The College of Business Administration is one of nine colleges at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. The collection contains brochures, flyers, promotional materials, annual reports, news clippings, and photographs relating to the College of Business Administration and, its prior name, the School of Business Administration.
The College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences is one of nine colleges at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. The collection contains brochures, flyers, promotional materials, clippings, audiovisual media and photographs from the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences and its academic divisions.
The collection contains programs, photographs, written speeches, audio and video recordings, and other materials pertaining to the commencement activities at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and the university's eight colleges. There are also materials related to the Kellogg-Voorhis campus, prior to Cal Poly Pomona's split from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
The Don B. Huntley College of Agriculture is one of nine colleges at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. It is the oldest program at Cal Poly Pomona and considered the university's founding college. The collection containes printed materials, photographs, and audiovisual materials that document the history, operations, faculty, students, staff, and buildings of the college.
The collection contains records documenting the planning, development, and implementation of events and programs celebrating Cal Poly Pomona's 50th anniversary. The records include meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, financial records, photographs, memorabilia, and materials collected for an unrealized time capsule.
The Cal Poly Rose Float has been jointly created students of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo every year since 1949. These "floral entries," as the floats are known, take part in the world famous Rose Parade held on New Years' Day in Pasadena, California. The collection includes administrative records that document the activities of the Rose Float Club, Rose Float Committee, and Rose Float Alumni Association; materials from and correspondence with the Tournament of Roses Association; financial records for the Rose Float Club, Rose Float Committee, and Rose Float Alumni Association; materials documenting the design, construction, and decoration of the Cal Poly Floats, including renderings and models; photographs of the floats, the parade, Club and Committee members, and related events; publicity materials to promote the Cal Poly floats and news clippings; audiovisual materials including recordings of the Cal Poly floats in the Tournament of Roses Parade and sound effects used for the floats; memorabilia; and awards won by the Cal Poly Rose Float program.
The collection contains press releases and news clippings from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Strategic Communications about university events and activities; university faculty, staff, and alumni; and the university's Arabian horses.
The collection consists of telephone directories for the Cal Poly Pomona Campus from 1959 to 2013. The phone directories include lists of faculty along with their school and personal contact information; college departments; and maps of the campus and surrounding area.
The collection contains photographs of faculty, staff, administrators, students, and alumni of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and Cal Poly Kellogg-Voorhis, the name of the college when it was a branch of California State Polytechnic College, San Luis Obispo.
The collection contains interviews conducted by faculty, staff, and students from Cal Poly Pomona about the history of the university, including interviews about the Voorhis School for Boys and the Voorhis Unit in San Dimas, which were on the land that eventually became the first campus of Cal Poly Pomona; the development of the Kellogg campus in Pomona; the hiring of the first female faculty members at Cal Poly Pomona in 1957; the Cal Poly Women's Club; and the university's athletics programs.
Avon Carlson was the first student body president of the Cal Poly Voorhis campus, which opened in 1938. The collection includes correspondence, photographs, and clippings documenting Carlson's time as a student at the Voorhis campus.
Inside Cal Poly Pomona was a series of television programs produced by California State Polytechnic University, Pomona to promote programs and events at the university. The collection contains video recordings of 14 of the 16 episodes of the series.
Correspondence, articles, lectures, speeches, book manuscripts, subject files, notes, and printed matter pertaining to the writings and academic career of philosopher and educator Abraham Kaplan (1918-1993).
The collection contains photographic negatives and prints, correspondence, and other materials related to cereal innovator W.K. (Will Keith) Kellogg, his family, and the Kellogg Company.
Kenneth Haun Kitch was a former journalism professor at California State Polytechnic College, San Luis Obispo. His collection contains research materials, correspondence, and oral history recordings that Kenneth Haun Kitch conducted for an unpublished book that he was working on about the history of the Cal Poly Voorhis Unit campus. The correspondence also relates to Kitch's position overseeing the Cal Poly Educational Center on the Voorhis campus.
Hugh O. La Bounty served as president of California State Polytechnic University, Pomona from 1978 to 1991 and previously was a faculty member and administrator at the university. The collection contains correspondence, photographs, clippings, speeches, reports, publications, La Bounty's thesis and dissertation, and audiovisual materials.
The Los Robles Horticulture Club is one of the oldest clubs at Cal Poly Pomona. The club was founded in 1940 for students who have a common interest in the art of gardening. The collection includes charters, correspondence, meeting minutes, publications, photographs, and scrapbooks.
John T. Lyle (1934-1998) taught Landscape Architecture at Cal Poly Pomona from 1968 to 1998. He was also founding project director of the Center for Regenerative Studies at Cal Poly Pomona, which is now called the John T. Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies. This collection includes personal and business correspondence; course outlines and lecture notes; blueprints and project designs; materials relating to the Center for Regenerative Studies, drafts and notes from his writings, including unpublished material; personal papers and subject files; and photographs and other audiovisual materials.
Chester O. McCorkle served in various educational and administrative roles at Cal Poly from 1932 to 1966, eventually becoming dean of the college for the Kellogg campus in Pomona. The collection contains administrative records, correspondence, reports and studies pertaining to curricula and other matters, reports from the Cal Poly Kellogg Campus to the Kellogg Foundation, records documenting the development of the Cal Poly Voorhis and Kellogg campuses, and programs for campus events.
Deborah Meadows, Professor Emerita at Cal Poly Pomona, is an accomplished poet, playwright, and essayist. The collection contains journals and magazines in which Meadows' poetry has been published and other materials related to her writing.
The collection contains correspondence, news clippings, photographs, flyers, and other material related to the Douglass Adair Symposia, a series of conferences and academic meetings that began in the 1980s and ran until at least 2008 at Cal Poly Pomona. The meetings focused on commemorating historical birthdays. The collection was donated by Dr. John Allphin Moore, the Cal Poly Pomona history professor who organized and served as director of the symposia.
The National Model United Nations Collection features files, photographs, awards and artifacts from the Model United Nations program at Cal Poly Pomona.
The office of Student Life and Cultural Centers (OSLCC) is a department of the Cal Poly Pomona Division of Student Affairs. The collection includes by-laws, lists of officers, rechartering applications, flyers and other records from over 150 clubs, councils, associations, teams, societies, sororities, and fraternities at Cal Poly Pomona.
Donald H. Pflueger was a history professor at Cal Poly Pomona for nearly forty years and wrote several books on the Pomona Valley. The collection includes manuscripts, drafts, and research materials for his book California State Polytechnic University, Pomona—A Legacy and a Mission.
Poly Vue was an annual open house event held at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona from 1939 to 1993. Events included exhibits and displays from various academic departments and clubs, as well as a Poly Vue Queen contest. Materials in the collection include administrative papers that document the planning and operation of the event, photographs of Poly Vue activities and exhibits, audiovisual materials, and realia.
The Student Wives Poly Anna's Club was established in 1948 and disbanded in 1975. The club held meetings, events, gatherings, and even created and funded a scholarship for the university.
The collection contains materials related to the Voorhis family, including writings and drafts by H. Jerry Voorhis and his son, Jerry Livingston Voorhis; correspondence to and from various members of the Voorhis family; materials about the Voorhis School for Boys and California State Polytechnic University, Pomona; materials related to H. Jerry Voorhis' time in Congress; photographs; and news clippings.
The availability of these papers in the west coast should prove beneficial to students and scholars interested in the history of early twentieth century American foreign policy (including policy toward Latin America), Progressivism in the United States, the administrations of Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson, the US involvement in World War I, and the development of opinion journalism in the United States.