Student Success Central

Step 4: Apply to Change Your Major

Once you’ve completed any requirements you need to fulfill, attended a change of major meeting (if applicable) and you’ve talked to an advisor in the department, you need to let the Registrar’s Office know that you are officially changing your major. You do this by filling out the Change of Major form, available as an e-form on their website. Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • For some majors, you can submit the change of major form at any time.
    • For others, you may have a specific deadline to officially change your major that year. The tool includes any special instructions about timing. 
  • The form must be approved.
    • The department chair in the major checks that you’ve fulfilled the requirements and approves the form before it goes to the Registrar’s Office.
  • It takes some time to get approved, and have it reflected on your record.
    • If you have questions about the status of your form, you can follow up with your academic department for updates.
  • When you change your major, you change your curriculum year.
    • Your curriculum year is the year at the top of the curriculum sheet you received when you attended Orientation. For example, if you joined the university in 2016, you received a copy of the 2016-17 curriculum sheet for your major. If you change your major, you’ll follow your new major’s curriculum sheet for the academic year you switched. If you are a student who started on quarters, make sure that you talk to your academic advisor about how a change of major will affect your General Education requirements and progress.
  • You will receive email communication about the form’s processing. Keep tabs on your CPP email for any emails from
  • If your change of major form is denied, you should talk to the department chair. They make the final decision.