Biology Internship Opportunities
Internship in Biology (BIO 441) course is required for majors in Biotechnology and in Environmental Biology, and it serves as an upper division elective for Biology majors. The goal is for students to apply and expand the knowledge and skills they had already developed in traditional classrooms. Students learn to solve real world problems working hand in hand with professionals in their discipline, making for a seamless transition to the professional workplace or towards advanced degrees in graduate and professional schools.
Students may get credit by enrolling in BIO 441 for volunteer or paid, off-campus or on-campus work related to their major. Students may register for 1 unit for each 40 - 50 hours of work up to 3 units per quarter. Biology majors/options could apply a maximum of 4 units of BIO 441 as support electives. Majors in Biotechnology and Environmental Biology could apply an additional 4 units of BIO 441 (and/or BIO 461) toward Core Electives. Internship through Cooperative Education will be required to take SCI 470, 472, or 473, which could be credited the same way as BIO 441.
How to Sign up for BIO 441?
- Students must identify an internship sponsor prior to registering in BIO 441.
- BIO 441 should be taken concurrently with internship or the following quarter.
- Student must complete the form for BIO 441 Internship Learning Plan available in the Department Office or online (PDF). This form requires signatures of your Job Supervisor (with his/her business card) and the designated department Internship Coordinator. Submit the signed form to the Department Office for a permission number to enroll in BIO 441.
- Grading is based on evaluations from the internship supervisor and the report submitted by the student.
Who are the Internship Coordinators?
- Biotechnology: Dr. Lin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Environmental Biology: Dr. Valdés (email@example.com) or Dr. Leong (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pre-Professional: Dr. Chan (email@example.com)
- Biology: Dr. Valdés (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Resources of internship opportunities and how to get started