Kinesiology and Health Promotion
Advising with Department Chair and Associate Department Chair
Due to COVID-19 and social distancing, Dr. Laura Chase, Department Chair, and Dr. Ken Hansen, Associate Department Chair, will be available through online advising via Zoom. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to schedule an appointment. Once your appointment has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email containing a "Meeting ID#" in order to enter and begin your online chat on Zoom. We look forward to assisting all of your advising needs and we hope you have a positive advising experience! Stay safe and healthy!
If you need to speak with Nancy or Christyne, click HERE for the office staff contact information, including Zoom information.
SUMMER SEMESTER 2020 "ZOOM" OFFICE HOURS
Office Hours as of June 29, 2020.
Dr. Chase: 1:00PM-3:00PM
Dr. Hansen: N/A
Dr. Chase: N/A
Dr. Hansen: N/A
Dr. Chase: 3:00PM-5:00PM
Dr. Hansen: N/A
Dr. Chase: N/A
Dr. Hansen: N/A
Welcome to the Kinesiology and Health Promotion Department! You have chosen a great major that will lead you to an incredible career in a variety of settings. Our main goal is to facilitate a timely graduation for you while providing a quality education in the field of kinesiology and health promotion. Here's what to expect during your time with us:
- There are two bachelor's degree programs: General Option and Pedagogy. Under the General Option subplan, there are three emphasis to choose from: Exercise Science, Health Promotion, and Sociocultural. Any non-KHP students who want to change their major in the Fall or Spring must attend a Change of Major Workshop prior to doing so. You must also meet the requirements to change to your desired major. Please see Change of Major/Adding a Minor FAQ for more information.
External Change of Major Workshop: Fall 2020
(any majors outside of KIN wanting to switch into KIN- General or Pedagogy)
*You must attend the above change of major meeting if you wish to change your major to Kinesiology.
**If you are looking to switch into Pedagogy or are already in the KIN major and are looking to switch options, please visit Dr. Chase during her office hours.
- If you are an accepted Kinesiology Major student, you will meet one-on-one with an academic advisor from the College of Science Advising Center . You will create a Grad Plan and Individual Academic Plan (IAP) prior to your meeting so that an advisor can review it. After your Initial Advisory Meeting, you will be required to check-in with your advisor at least once a year (once a quarter is best).
- You should join the KHP Club. The KHP Club is a great way to network and socialize with other KHP majors. Also, the KHP Club provides experiences for professional growth and development.
- If you are interested in Pre-Med information, please contact Ansel Zhao at email@example.com.
|Course#||Q Equiv||Course Title||Prereq||Units||Sem|
|2020||201||Introduction to Kinesiology and Health Promotion||3||F/S|
|2050||New||Applied Health & Well-Being (for KHP majors)||3||F/S|
|2070||207||Health and Well-Being (GE E) (for non-majors)||3||F/S|
|2200||New||Pedagogical Principles of Kinesiology and Health Promotion||3||F/S|
|2220/A||204/A & 208/A||Pedagogy Theory and Fieldwork/Activity||1/2||F|
|2290||209||Contemporary Issues in Kinesiology and Health Promotion||3||F/S|
|2460S/AS||206S/AS||Introduction to Students with a Disability Service Learning/Activity||3/1||F|
|2700||370||Stress Management for Healthy Living (GE E)||3||F/S|
|2990/A/L||299/A/L||Special Topic for Lower Divison Students (will be used as replacement courses)||1-3||F/S*|
|3010||301||Foundations of Exercise Science (GE B5)||A, B1-B4||3||F/S|
|3030/L||303/L & 403/L||Physiology of Exercise/Laboratory||BIO 2350/L||3/1||F/S|
|3040/L||304/L||Introduction to Biomechanics/Laboratory||BIO 2340/L, STA 1200 & PHY 1020 or 1210/L||3/1||F/S|
|3210/A||251/A||Teaching Outdoor and Adventure Education/Activity||KIN 2220/A||1/2||S|
|3220/A||250/A, 252/A & 262/A||Teaching Individual, Dual and Team Sports/Activity||KIN 2220/A||1/2||F|
|3230/A||255/A||Teaching Rhythms and Dance/Activity||KIN 2220/A||1/1||S|
|3240/A||257/A||Gymnastics, Self-Defense and Secondary PE and Fitness/Activity||KIN 2220/A||1/1||F|
|3250/A||264/A||Teaching Aquatics/Activity||KIN 2220/A||1/1||F|
|3260/A||328/A||Teaching Elementary Physical Education and Fitness/Activity||KIN 2220/A||2/1||S|
|3410A||341/A||Teaching Practicum||UD Standing||1||F/S*|
|3500||310||Philosophical and Ethical Issues in Physical Education||3||S|
|3510||New||Philosophical and Ethical Issues||3||F/S|
|3550/A||440||Physical Education Curriculum and Assessment/Activity||KIN 3210/A- 3260/A||2/1||S|
|3620/A||312/A||Motor Behavior/Activity||KIN 3030/L||3/1||F/S|
|3650||365||Dimensions of the Aging Process||3||F/S|
|4000||400||Special Study for Upper Division Students (1-3)||UD Standing||1-3||F/S*|
|4050S/AS||405S/AS||Adapted Physical Education Fieldwork Service Learning/Activity||KIN 2460S/AS||1/1||F/S|
|4080||408||Drugs and Society||3||F/S|
|4120/L||412/L||Movement Anatomy and Kinesiology/Laboratory||KIN 3040/L||3/1||F/S|
|4310AS||431AS||Field Experiences with Students with Disabilities Service Learning||KIN 2460S/AS Coreq - KIN 4330S or 4340||1||F/S|
|4320S||432S||Behavior Intervention and Support Plans in APE Service Learning||KIN 2460S/AS||3||F|
|4330S||433S||Motor Assessment Policies and Procedures in APE Service Learning||KIN 2460S/AS & STA 1200||3||S|
|4340||434||APE Program Development and Implementation||KIN 2460S/AS||3||S|
|4360||436||Clinical Practice in Adapted Physical Education||Permission of instructor||3||F/S*|
|4370||437||Adapted Physical Education Candidate Assessment||Permission of instructor||1||F/S*|
|4400||441||School Health Education||UD or Grad standing||3||F|
|4410||New||Internship in Kinesiology||UD or Grad standing||1-2||NA|
|4430||451||Inequality in Sport and Physical Activity (GE D4)||A, D1-D3||3||F/S|
|4440||New||Sport and Film (GE D3)||3||F/S|
|4450||210 & 450||Social and Historical Perspectives in Kinesiology||3||F/S|
|4490||449||Sport and Culture (GE D3)||3||F/S|
|4500/L||470/L||Electrocardiography in Health and Exercise/Laboratory||KIN 3030/L||2/1||F/S|
|4510/A||453||Exercise Prescription and Fitness Testing/Activity||KIN 3030/L||3/1||F/S|
|4520/A||New||Injury Prevention and Emergency Care/Activity||2/1||F/S|
|4530||455||Sports Medicine||KIN 3030/L||3||F/S|
|4540||456||Exercise Bioenergetics and Metabolism||KIN 3030/L||3||F/S|
|4550/L||New||Principles of Strength and Conditioning/Laboratory||KIN 3030/L||3/1||F/S|
|4610||461 & 462||Senior Project||Senior Standing||3||S|
|4620||463||Senior Seminar for Pedagogical Kinesiology||Senior Standing||3||S|
|4650/A||479/A & 480/A||Health Promotion Program Planning/Activity||Senior Standing||3/1||S|
|4990/A/L||499/L/A||Special Topic for Upper Divison Students (will be used as replacement courses)||1-3||F/S*|
KHP Semester Conversion
- KIN 425/A will no longer be offered in semesters. Please take before Fall 2018.
- If you have started a GE sub-area, make sure to complete the lower-division portion before Fall 2018 (A1-A3 or B1-B4 or C1-C3 or D1-D3)
Exercise Science or Health Promotion:
- Finish both KIN 303/L & KIN 403/L before Fall 218, or take KIN 3030/L in semesters.
- Start either CHM 121/L or PHY 121/L series in Fall 2017, or wait until Fall 2018.
- Exercise Science: Take KIN 430/L & KIN 458/L before Fall 2018, if at all possible. These Courses will not be offered in semesters .
- Heath Promotion: Take KIN 205/A, KIN 380, KIN 458/L, and KIN 459 before Fall 2018, if at all possible. These courses will not be offered in semesters .
- Finish both KIN 479/A & KIN 480/A before Fall 2018, or take KIN 4650/A in semesters.
- Take KIN 210 and KIN 450, or take KIN 4450 in semesters.
- Take KIN 204/A & KIN 208/A in quarters, or take KIN 2220/A in semesters.
- Take KIN 250/A, Kin 252/A, and Kin 262/A in quarters, or take KIN 3220/A in semesters.
- Take KIN 205/A, KIN 253/A, KIN 256/A, KIN 420, and KIN 430/L before Fall 2018, if at all possible. These courses will not be offered in semesters .
- Take GED 400 before Fall 2018, if at all possible. This course will not be offered in semesters.
- Taking the above courses will ensure that you are subject no matter competent.
- Elective APE courses will still be offered in semesters.
We're excited to have you join us and hope that your experiences with KHP will be rewarding.
We look forward to seeing you at Commencement!
The Kinesiology and Health Promotion Department is a member of the
American Kinesiology Association.