Student Accounting & Cashiering Services

Questions and Answers

No, the 1098-T form is completed by the University.

Cal Poly Pomona is not required to furnish a 1098-T for the following reasons:

  • Students who take classes where no academic credit is offered even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program; This include non-credit professional development courses offered through the Cal. Poly Pomona College of Professional & Global Education.
  • Students who are nonresident aliens for income tax purposes (unless requested by the student);
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with grants and scholarship; and
  • Students for whom Cal Poly Pomona does not maintain separate financial account information and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between the University and either the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veteran Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Some of the most common reasons for not receiving a 1098-T are:

  • Cal Poly Pomona does not have your social security number. This information is required for 1098-T reporting.
  • Cal Poly Pomona does not have your valid address. If you are using BroncoDirect, be sure to use the Mailing address.
  • The student's qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived.

We are required to report transactions by calendar year (January 1-December 31).

For most students:

Regular tuition charges that are posted prior to January 1, 2024 are posted on the 2023 1098-T Form.

Late adjustments and financial aid awarded after January 1, 2023 are posted on the 2023 1098-T form.

Scholarships, grants, waivers, and anything that is not required to be paid back, that are processed through the University are reported in Box 5 on the 1098-T.  Student loans are not reported on the 1098-T.

Please complete Student's Taxpayer Identification Number substitute Form W-9S and mail to the Registrar's Office or submit via Secure File Upload System

Mail to:

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Attn: Registrar's Office
3801 West Temple Ave., Student Service Building 121
Pomona, Ca 91768


We do not disclose or sell secure and sensitive information to third parties.

By FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974), parents have rights to their children's education records but those rights transfer to the child when the child starts college OR reaches the age of 18. We are required to obtain authorization consent from the student. The student can complete the FERPA Authorize to Release via BroncoDirect in Student Center.

You can find out more information about FERPA by clicking on this link.

Some of the tax benefits the IRS offers are:  HTTPS://WWW-ed-expenses

American Opportunity Credit

A student may take a credit up to $2,500 (with up to $1,000 refundable). The student must have been enrolled at least half-time for any semester during 2023, which can be verified if Box 8 on the 1098-T has been checked.

The list of qualified expenses has been expanded to include "course materials", or books, supplies, and equipment needed for a course study. This credit is available for students who are in their first four years of post-secondary education.

Caution: for the purposes of this credit, the 1098-T may not reflect the total qualified expenses based on information available.

Lifetime Learning Credit

A taxpayer may take up to $2,000 (20% of the first $10,000 in expenses) credit per tax return, not per student. The credit is available for all years of postseason education and courses to acquire or improve job skills.

For more details, check out IRS Publication 970.

It depends whether you are a nonresident alien for federal income tax purposes. Nonresident aliens are generally not eligible for educational tax benefits.

Only you and your tax consultant can determine if you are eligible for any of the above tax benefits. The University cannot advise you on your tax situation.

No, the 1098-T is not a bill from the University.

Remember, the 1098-T is completed by the University; you do not complete the 1098-T.

You will need to complete Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number Substitute W-9S form, which can be downloaded from this link:  Please mail the form or send via Secure File Upload System.

Please allow several business days for your 1098-T form to be corrected.

Due to security restrictions, we do not email 1098-T forms.

Most likely what you are paying for is travel expenses.  Travel is not included on the 1098-T because for most tax benefits, travel is not an allowable expense.  If you want a receipt for the exchange program, please contact the International Center at 909-869-3267.

The Social Security will be truncated to the last four digits on the 1098-T form, whether retrieved through BroncoDirect or mailed.