College and University Resources
This slideshow contains 7 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
Our BioTrek Docents!
Cal Poly Pomona Instructors & Teaching Associates
BioTrek supports a number of campus courses in a range of departments. BioTrek welcomes instructors to utilize the areas of BioTrek to enhance student learning, but instructors should complete a Use of Facility Reservation Form request to ensure minimal time conflicts for your self-guided visit. The training material below is available for your use in tailoring your self-guided visit to suit your course needs. Also see: Cal Poly Pomona Class Visits
- Guide for BIO1110L Teaching Associates
- Guide for BIO1150L Teaching Associates
- Guide to the Native Plants of California
- Guide to the Mesozoic Rocks
BioTrek Service-Learning Docents
Our K-12 program would not be possible without our service-learning docents! Working with the Center for Community Engagement at Cal Poly Pomona, BioTrek is helping to advance a culture of meaningful engagement by promoting service-learning, volunteering and cooperative education. Undergraduate biology students make a commitment to learn-by-doing by applying their biological knowledge in service to the community. Our students are trained to use interpretive techniques to facilitate connections between visitors and the natural environment. The training material below is available for BIO488S Interpretation of Science docents in preparation of their service-learning commitment.Note to docents: These materials are available for you to review at any time. Remember that slight differences in content may be observed for different age groups we serve, and you should always consult the age-appropriate content.
- Interpreting the Ethnobotany Garden Learning Center
- Interpreting the Rainforest Learning Center
- Interpreting the Biodiversity & Conservation Museum
- Interpreting the Animal Collection
- Interpreting the Mesozoic Garden & Learning Center
- BioTrek Curriculum Standards (by area and grade)
Research at BioTrek
BioTrek is pleased to support research in the pursuit of knowledge. Our outdoor and indoor facilities provide a number of opportunities for research studies. Below are some of the exciting ways this project is making a difference in more ways than one!
- Disconnect Your Child! - A case study comparing affective (interpretive) vs cognitive teaching strategies.
- Comparative Study of Biomechanical Properties in Ethnobotanically Useful Plants - Case studies investigating the potential of using biomechanical properties as predictors of plant uses.
- Reptile Research - Ongoing studies of reptile stomach contents.
- Aquatic Biology Learning Center Research
- A variety of small-scale class projects, including bee pollination and leaf decomposition projects.