Community service learning is an approach to teaching and learning in which university students engage in meaningful community service complimented by instruction and reflection. Through community service learning, students enrich their learning experience, practice civic responsibility, and strengthen the communities surrounding them.
SPN 4230S – Spanish Applied Linguistics
Students in Dr. Amàlia Llombart’s Spanish Applied Linguistics class study topics in linguistics including the following:
- how languages are acquired and developed both in naturalistic and academic contexts;
- the role of families in language and literacy development;
- bilingualism in children's linguistic and affective development;
- bilingualism as an element of societal hierarchies and prejudices;
- bilingualism as a valued skill that serves a role in society.
The in-class components of the course engage students in structured opportunities to reflect on the impact language and linguistic knowledge has on society, as well as to identify societal / community needs. The community service learning aspect of the course provides them with the opportunity to put the knowledge of linguistics they have developed to use in a very practical way through active engagement with the community.
Community Partners and Service-Learning Projects
- Self-Help Legal Access-Pomona: Working with qualified legal experts, students provide assistance on legal matters in Spanish and help with document translation.
- Think Together: Working in an afterschool program in a dual immersion school, students do Spanish language and literacy activities with children.
- Mt. SAC’s Language Learning Center: Students design and/or review learning activities, lead study groups, provide one-on-one tutoring, and learn language learning software.
- CPP’s English & Modern Languages’ Conversation Sessions: Under Dr. Dickson’s guidance, students prepare and lead weekly conversation sessions with SPN 1111 and SPN 1112 students.
Service Learning in Action: Students in Prof. Llombart's SPN 451S.