Student Success Central

Fall 2021 Virtual Advising & Academics Toolkit

Black and white illustration of a computer monitor. Inside the monitor is a circle, and inside the circle is a mortarboard

Advising Resources

CPP Connect

View drop-in and appointment availability for college advising centers and tutoring centers

New Student Registration Guide

Learn the basics of registering for classes

How-To Videos

Get tips on navigating BroncoDirect

General Advising Questions

Contact the Bronco Advising Center via phone at (909) 869-4600 and email at

Major-Specific and Undeclared Questions

Visit CPP Connect to view availability for your college advising center or the Undeclared Student Program. Online appointments will be held via Zoom, and you will receive a Zoom link ahead of your meeting.

Faculty Advising 

Please contact faculty via email. For a complete directory of advisors, visit Student Success Central.

Student Support & Equity Programs and EOP

SSEP and EOP Advisors are working remotely, but are available to assist you via online advising, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit CPP Connect to view availability. Online appointments will be held via Zoom, and you will receive a Zoom link ahead of your meeting.  EOP group advising and peer advising sessions are paused. If you have an EOP advising hold, contact your EOP advisor via email.  

Intercollegiate Athletics 

Contact Scott Tsuji at for advising.



You can start the change of major process after you've completed one semester at CPP. Visit the Change of Major Guide for more information. If the major you're interested in indicates you need to attend a change of major meeting, contact the department for more information. 

During the university's shift to virtual instruction, you can still submit academic petitions. Please see below for a chart and instructions on how to submit different types of petitions. 

Petition Submission Chart (PDF)

Paper Petitions

For all paper petitions:

  • To complete the petition:
    • If it is a fillable PDF, please type in your responses.
    • If it is not a fillable form and you do not have a printer, please put all information requested into an email and attach the blank form.
  • To submit the petition:
    • After you fill out your part of the form, send it to each reviewer in the order listed and ask them to send it back to you after they review it. 
    • Once they send it back to you, send it to the next reviewer.
    • Once you receive all required approvals, email the form and all approvals to

General Academic Petitions

The General Academic Petition is now an e-form. Use a General Academic Petition for the following reasons:

  • Elective/Emphasis/Concentration Declarations if deviating from catalog or curriculum sheet
  • Study Abroad (IPC) course substitutions
  • Credit from non-regionally accredited institutions (after completion of 20 units at CPP)
  • Rescinding a previously submitted petition
  • Discontinued student petitions (graduate out of residency)
  • Any requests for catalog or specific policy​ exceptions

If you need to submit a General Academic Petition for any of the above reasons, contact your academic advisor to begin the process.   

Course Substitutions

The Course Substitution Petition is now an e-form. Contact your academic advisor to begin the process.   

Petition to Exceed Unit Cap

The Petition to Exceed Unit Cap is now an e-form. You can find the e-form on the Registrar's Office website

Petition to Waive Restrictions on Course Repeats

The Petition to Waive Restrictions on Course Repeats is now an e-form. You can find the e-form on the Registrar's Office website

Petition to Withdraw for Serious and Compelling Reasons

Before submitting a withdrawal petition, you are encouraged to:

  • Consult with your faculty member for ways to complete your course requirements.
  • Consult with your advisor regarding the impact on your time to degree.
  • Consult with the Bronco Advising Center or Financial Aid & Scholarships to understand the impact on your financial aid package.

You can find the e-form on the Registrar's Office website

Petition to Request to Delay Graduation Form

The Petition to Request to Delay Graduation is now an e-form. You can find the e-form on the Office of Student Success's website

Graduation Writing Test Waiver

Due to COVID-19, the Graduation Writing Test requirement has been temporarily suspended. Students graduating Spring 2021, Summer 2021 or Fall 2021 will not be required to complete the test. For other students, more information will be coming soon.

Icon of certificate

Academic Resources

Instruction Modes

Understand how your courses will be offered

A-Z of Departments

Visit academic department websites

Department Chair Contact Info

Find academic department chair contact information

University Library Resources

Find online resources and get online help from CPP librarians

It’s important to know what your courses’ Instruction Modes are so you know a little bit more about what to expect. Here’s how to check them: 

  1. Find a section in the BroncoDirect Class Search.
  2. Click on the Class or Section hyperlink for the section you’re interested in.
  3. Look at the Class Details table. 

or if you're already enrolled: 

  1. Go to your BroncoDirect Student Center, and click on the Weekly Schedule link underneath your Class Schedule quick view.
  2. You’ll see your schedule as a Weekly Calendar View. Change it to the List View. 
  3. Click on the hyperlinked section number for the class you want to look at. 
  4. Find the Instruction Mode in the Class Details box. 
Be sure to read all of the Class Details information. For descriptions of other Instruction Modes, visit the Student Success Central A-Z Glossary of Academic Terms

CPP students have access to download free or discounted software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud and AutoDesk.

View and Download Software

The Virtual Software Lab provides students and faculty the ability to remotely log into a computer with specialized academic software previously only available from on-campus labs.

Access the Virtual Software Lab

Watch the How-To Video


The University Library has a limited inventory of laptops and hotspots available for students to check out on a first come, first served basis. Laptops are available for a 4-hour loan when on campus or for semester-long loans. Hotspots are available for semester-long loans. Visit the University Library's website for information on how to request equipment. 

Several internet service providers have pledged to offer students low-cost or free internet service to those who qualify. See below for potential options:

  • Internet Essentials - The website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
  • Charter/Spectrum - Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll, call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.

Visit the California Department of Education website for more information and options. 

Learning Resource Center and Writing Center Tutoring

Tutoring appointments are available in-person and online via Zoom.  To schedule an online tutoring appointment, visit CPP Connect. Email by 8 a.m. for same-day appointments. 

EOP Tutorial

EOP Tutorial is an academic community of learners and peer-educators dedicated to student success. This fall, we are offering one-hour tutorial sessions with our Success Strategists through Zoom. 

Visit the EOP website to learn about our services and how to schedule an appointment.

Your instructors will include contact information and office hour information on their course syllabi. You can also use Bronco411 to look up their CPP email addresses. Use your CPP email address in your MyCPP portal to email them.

We have received questions about wait-listing courses and how to get permission numbers from instructors in our virtual format. Please use the waitlisting function in BroncoDirect so instructors and departments can communicate with you about the specific section you are interested in.

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Students can access DRC resources on the DRC website and can reach out directly by calling 909-869-3333 or emailing

Photo of the CPP Rose Garden. Students walk by in the background.

Safer Return Website

Cal Poly Pomona is committed to ensuring that students receive the highest quality learning experience that reflects our inclusive polytechnic education, and we are committed to protecting health and well-being. We are engaged in a campus-wide effort to bolster virtual/remote teaching, learning and student support offerings. 

Visit the Safer Return Website