Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Requirements

The College of Business Administration Accounting Department's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free income tax preparation/assistance to taxpayers whose gross income is $60,000 or less.  We will be unable to provide you with assistance if your 2021 return involves any of the following:

  • Schedule C with losses.
  • Complicated and advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses).
  • Form SS-5 (request for Social Security number).
  • Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding).
  • Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA).
  • Form 8615 (minor’s investment income).
  • Taxpayers who will be electing “Married Filing Separate” status.


Taxpayers meeting the program eligibility requirements must bring the following items:

  • Photo identification (i.e., valid driver's license).
  • Social Security number(s) and dates of birth for you, your spouse and dependents.  If you do not have a Social Security card, please bring your ITIN, or we can obtain one for you if you have not applied for one.  It is critical that each person use the correct Social Security number.
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, etc.).
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks, etc. (Forms 1099).
  • All current tax documents and forms including items relevant for determining income and expenses.
  • Date acquired, cost, date sold and selling price for stock sales; brokerage account statements may be helpful.
  • For day care: Provider's name, number, address and telephone number, as well as the amount paid for day care.
  • For renters: Name, address and phone number of landlord.
  • A copy of last year's federal and state income tax returns, if available.
  • For direct deposits: copy of a canceled check that shows bank account number and routing number.

If you plan to file a joint return electronically, both spouses must be present to sign the required IRS and FTB forms.

We do not retain copies of your tax returns or supporting documentation.  It is important for you to retain copies of these items for your records.  Once the VITA program ends, VITA volunteers will not be available to answer your income tax questions. We suggest that all tax return-related inquiries be directed local tax professionals (e.g., certified public accountants, enrolled agents, etc.) or the appropriate taxing authority (e.g., IRS, FTB).