University Accounting Services

Planning Your Trip

travel checklist concept. notebook with blank checklist on wooden background with glasses and plane model

The following information is provided as a quick reference.  For additional, detailed information, please see the CSU Travel and Business Expense Payments Policy (PDF) prior to traveling on official University business.  Individuals traveling on official University business must familiarize themselves with and adhere to the CSU Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement Procedures.

A Travel Request is required to be submitted and approved in Concur for all travel types and funding sources (State and Auxiliary Organizations), prior to booking travel arrangements and departure. To remain in compliance with Executive Orders and the CSU Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement Procedures, approval must be obtained prior to travel as follows:
  • All travel for faculty and staff, Domestic and International: HEERA Manager/Chair
  • All travel for faculty, Domestic and International: College Dean
  • All travel for faculty and staff, Domestic: Vice President’s Sub-Delegates
  • All International travel for faculty and staff: Provost/Vice President & Risk Management
  • All High Hazard International travel for faculty and staff: Provost/Vice President & Risk Management

Once completed and approved, the Travel Request will be maintained in Concur until the traveler attaches the Travel Request to their electronic Expense Report for reimbursement.

If a private vehicle is to be used, the traveler agrees to the “Certification of Minimum Liability Insurance Requirements and Condition of Vehicle” by accepting the acknowledgement displayed upon submission of the Travel Request for approval in Concur.

Travel packages purchased through internet vendors, such as Expedia, typically do not itemize expenses. It is recommended that these internet vendors not be used to book business-related travel; unless the traveler has already confirmed that an itemized receipt can be obtained (e.g. itemized hotel charges, airfare, fees, etc.) to ensure appropriate documentation is included for reimbursement.

University employees traveling on official business may be granted an exemption from the payment of transient occupancy taxes. Prior to your travel, complete and print the “Hotel/Motel Transient Occupancy Tax Waiver” form (PDF) and present it at check-in. Some lodging establishments may require a form specific to their location or chain in lieu of the State of California form. Some lodging establishments will not honor the waiver; however, the traveler should present the form at check-in to try and obtain the exemption.

For group related payments, and payment of expenses on behalf of others, please refer to the Group Payments page.

  • Itemized receipts are required for all business travel related expenses of $75 or more. Receipts should be clearly marked “paid” or show a zero balance. Payment method should be clearly identifiable on the itemized receipt.

If a trip must be canceled or changed, the traveler must make every effort to cancel/change any travel reservations. Fees, charges, or lost refunds incurred as a result of canceling/changing a trip will be covered if the cancellation/change is work related or due to unforeseen circumstances out of the control of the traveler. A business justification must be submitted and approved by the approving authority (Provost/Vice President).

Travelers who are unable to honor a reservation or travel accommodations will be responsible for canceling the reservation/accommodations in compliance with the cancellation terms established by the vendor. The traveler must return any refundable deposits/prepayments to the University. Funds received as a deposit or prepayment for canceled travel cannot be used for other purchases.