CPP-WesternU/CHS-MSPA Linkage Program
CPP-WesternU-MSPA-Linkage Program: This linkage program is designed for pre-PA track students at CPP who wish to matriculate as candidates for the Master of Science in Physician Assistant degree (MSPA) at WesternU/COMP.
Who qualifies to apply to the Linkage Program?
CPP Students interested in applying for the Linkage program must fulfill the following criteria:
1) Current Cal Poly students with legal US residency and with senior standing in science majors (all majors offered by College of Science at CPP. Nutrition and Food Science does not qualify);
2) Completion of all the courses listed below with the exception that up to 3 semester units of non-science courses may be in progress;
- 6 semester units of college English: Eng 1101 or Eng 1103 (GE A-2) and Eng 2105 (GE A-3);
- 9 semester units of Humanities courses (art, music, ethics, philosophy, foreign languages and religion);
- 3 semester units of General or Introductory Psychology
- 3 semester units of General or Introductory Sociology
- 3 semester units of College Algebra (MAT 1050 or MAT 1060 or MAT 1140 or MAT 1200);
- 1-year of Foundations of Biology with Labs (BIO 1210/L & BIO 1220/L);
- 6 semester units (1-year) of General/Inorganic Chemistry with Labs (CHM 1210/L & CHM 1220/L)
- 3 semester units of Basic Microbiology with Lab (BIO 2060/L)
- 3 semester units of Human Anatomy with Lab (BIO 2340/L)
- 3 semester units of Human Physiology with Lab (BIO 2350/L)
- 3 semester units of Genetics (BIO 2400)
- 3 semester units of Introductory Statistics (STA 1200 or STA 1300)
3) All prerequisites must be completed with agrade of “C” or better (a grade of “C-” or lower is not acceptable);
4) Additional highly recommended but not required coursework: Spanish;
5) Minimum overall GPA and Science GPA of 3.4 or above (GPA can't be rounded - in another words, 3.39 won't qualify);
6) Demonstrated a history of ongoing community service and involvement (clinical experience is not a requirement).
How to apply to the Linkage Program?
Interested CPP students who meet the above criteria AND are applying to the WesternU/MSPA program for matriculation in the upcoming year are encouraged to submit a pre-screening application at this link (active April 1st - May 1st).
Students will be selected based on their submitted pre-screening application and will be invited by an email from the Pre-professional advisor to submit an official Linkage application by June 1st. The complete linkage program application include the following items:
1) A completed and signed “WesternU-CPP MSPA Linkage program Application for Admission” form;
2) A copy of CV/Resume;
*If applicable, please describe in detail any community service and involvement in your CV. All employment and extracurricular information should be included as well.3) Personal Statement (500-1000 words, Times New Roman or Arial, font size 11);
4) An unofficial copy of Transcript from CPP;
5) Letter of Recommendation (optional).
* Applicants may be offered a provisional interview to ensure that they possess the potential professionalism, interpersonal communication skills, system-based attitude, empathy, community engagement, and academic ability commensurate with being successful in the WesternU-MSPA program;
* Decision for acceptance into the Linkage program will be made by the WesternU-CPP MSPA Linkage program committee and an acceptance letter to join the Linkage program will be emailed to selected applicants by the pre-professional advisor(s) at CPP by June 15th.
What does the Linkage Program offer?
1) Linkage students who fulfill all prerequisite and linkage requirements will receive an interview at WesternU;
2) Linkage students will have opportunities to interact with WesternU faculty and students in the PA program, including but not limited to campus tour, lunch with WesternU students, attending lectures as guests, and serving as mock patients, etc.
What happens after being accepted into the Linkage Program?
Students in the CPP-WesternU/CHS-MSPA Linkage program must meet the following minimum requirements for final admission into WesternU Physician Assistant program:
1) All required courses listed above must be completed by the end of the Spring term (or June 15th of the matriculation year at the latest) prior to matriculation;
2) All required Science courses (Biology/Chemistry/Math) listed above must be completed no more than seven years prior to the application deadline year. Courses older than 7 years will not be accepted;
3) A baccalaureate degree must be conferred by the end of the Spring term of the matriculation year;
4) A cumulative GPA and Science GPA of 3.40 or above must be maintained through admission into the program;
Completion of an application to the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) by November 1 of the year preceding intended matriculation at WesternU;
5) Positive letters of recommendation from two individuals who are not family members;
6) Completion of supplemental materials required by WesternU MSPA program which is found on the WesternU Admissions site, Apply Now page, which includes:
- Secondary application form with all questions answered;
- Application fee;
- Prerequisite worksheet;
- Repeated courses sheet (if applicable);
- Agreement page.
7) Demonstrated a history of ongoing community service and involvement;
8) A disciplinary record entirely free of felony convictions and free of violation of the standard of student conduct;
9) Must pass matriculation interview at WesternU.