Veterans Resource Center

Call to Military Service

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, or Reserves are entitled to readmission to the university if their separation is caused by either voluntary or involuntary service on active duty for a period of more than 30 days.   

If you are called to active duty, you should notify Samuel Kim, VA Certifying Official, or the Veterans Resource Center that you have been deployed. This does not apply in situations where notice is precluded by military necessity or would compromise national security. 

After the completion of your military service, you may defer notifying the campus of your intent to return for no more than three years. If you are hospitalized or convalescing from an illness or injury during the performance of service, you are expected to notify the campus of your intent to return no later than two years after the end of your recovery.

To resume studies, you must notify Samuel Kim, VA Certifying Official, at or contact the Veterans Resource Center at Then, you should schedule a meeting with your advisor and establish an academic plan for the completion of your degree.

While veterans are permitted to resume their studies after discharge, in most cases it is not advisable to return to school after the beginning of the semester because of the courses and assignments missed. Unless there are special circumstances, a student veteran will not be readmitted after census, typically, the 15th day of instruction.

A leave of absence, for reasons other than military, is also permitted after at least one semester of enrollment.  As with other leaves, you should discuss such a request with Samuel Kim, VA Certifying Official, or the Veterans Resource Center.

More information about military leave of absence is available on the University Catalog page. To submit a Leave of Absence visit the Registrar's Office website.

For military leave that is less than 30 days, review the Accommodations of Military Student Service Obligations (Less than 30 Days) policy on the university catalog for more information.