Veterans Benefits, Step 1

As an active military service member, veteran or dependent of someone who has served our country, you may be entitled to certain educational benefits and/or qualify for financial aid or other types of funding to make your college education affordable.

Step 1: Knowing your educational benefits

Cal Poly Pomona students eligible for Department of Defense (DoD) or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits may seek consultation and approval from the DoD and/or VA directly. Information regarding benefits, including benefit comparisons and applications, is available on the GI Bill® website. You may also call the VA Education Assistance hotline at 1-888-442-4551. Once you understand which benefit you qualify for and receive a notice of eligibility from the VA, visit the Veterans Resource Center for assistance with establishing your educational benefits at Cal Poly Pomona.

Educational “chapter” benefits defined 

VA educational benefits are broadly defined by when and how long you, your spouse or a parent (if you are a dependent) served in the armed forces. For a complete list of VA educational benefits, refer to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Other VA benefits

Fee waiver

The Cal Vet College Fee Waiver (CFW) program benefits the spouse and children of U.S. veterans who are California residents. Qualified students may have their tuition fees waived if they attend a California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. Applications for this program should be submitted to your local County Veterans Services Office.

Cal Vet College Fee Waiver award letters should be submitted annually to the Veterans Resource Center or to Student Accounting & Cashiering Services. Onced received, Student Accounts & Cashiering Services will process the tuition waiver for each semester that you are enrolled during the academic year that is approved on your award letter.  Questions regarding this waiver may be directed to Student Accounting & Cashiering Services at (909) 869-2010 or

Tuition Assistance

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Air Forc, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. Congress has provided each service the ability to pay up to 100% of the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. Please consult your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service branch prior to enrolling at Cal Poly Pomona for further information regarding Tuition Assistance (TA). This funding is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. For more information, visit

For an estimated breakdown of tuition covered by Tuition Assistance, please contact the Veterans Resource Center at (909) 869-6994.

VA Work Study

If you are a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree program or a vocational or professional program, you can "earn while you learn" with a VA work-study allowance. The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under one of the VA benefit programs: GI Bill®, Vocational Rehabilitation (for Veterans), VEAP, DEA. Dependents may also be eligible. Additional information is available through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

Tutorial Assistance

The Tutorial Assistance Program is available if you receive VA educational assistance at a half-time rate or more and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions please contact this program toll-free, (888) 442-4551.

Residency for Fee Purposes

Special provisions for residency status for fee purposes have been made for Veterans, military service members, and dependents. For more information visit the Residency for Fee Purposes page.

Click here for more information (Step 2)