Veterans Resource Center

Academic-Related Support for Veterans

Veterans and military personnel may come to you for assistance with situations or needs that are unique to their military status.  Here is a brief summary of some of the requests you may receive:

Educational Plan Requirement for VA Benefits

To get VA educational benefits certified, student veterans (and eligible dependents of veterans) must complete and submit an Academic Year Educational Plan (PDF) that needs to be approved by an academic advisor.  This plan is then submitted by the Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office to the Veterans Administration.

It is important to note that VA educational benefits only cover courses that meet a degree requirement (GE, core, support or unrestricted elective). Due to the limited time frame in which benefits are available, student veterans are usually very focused on getting into classes that can be counted towards their degree completion and may request assistance in enrolling into a specific course.

Call to Military Service

Members of the Armed Forces, National Guard or Reserve may be called to active duty.  These students are instructed to notify Samuel Kim, VA Certifying Official, at or the Veterans Resource Center at, unless notice is precluded by military necessity.

Student veterans are entitled to readmission to the University if their separation is caused by either a voluntary or involuntary active duty service for a period of more than 30 days.

To resume studies after completion of their military service, students must notify their Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office or contact the Veterans Resource Center. They will be advised to schedule a meeting with their advisor to establish an academic year educational plan for the completion of their degree.

More information about military leave of absence is available on the University Catalog page. To submit a Leave of Absence visit the Registrar's Office website.

Short-Term Military Service

Military personnel called to mandatory training may or may not know of the training schedule in advance.  In cases where the training conflicts with classes, exams, or assignments instructors may be asked for an accommodation or schedule adjustment.

For military leave that is less than 30 days, review the Accommodations of Military Student Service Obligations (Less than 30 Days) policy on the university catalog for more information.

Military Transfer Credit

Student veterans are eligible for elective credit and GE Area E if they meet certain requirements.  Students may also petition for an evaluation of their military transcript for course substitution or transfer coursework credit.

Unless the course(s) have been previously articulated, academic departments and advisors are required to review and, if applicable, approve these petitions based on the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.  More information about transfer credit for veterans is available at the Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans (Semester) PDF or at Transfer Guide for Veterans (Quarter) PDF.

Class absence for VA medical appointments

In some cases, medical appointments with the Veterans Administration have to be made several months in advance and may conflict with a veteran’s class or exam schedule.  Student veterans may request that an assignment or exam time be adjusted around the appointment with the Veterans Administration. 

Accommodations for veterans with disabilities

Student veteran may require accommodations or assistance on the basis of a disability through the Disability Resource Center.   For questions about accommodations for veterans with disabilities, please contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at 909.869.3333.

For More Information...

We encourage you to contact the Veterans Resource Center for information and/or assistance with providing veterans with the support they need to meet their academic goals.  For more information, you may call 909.869.6994.