Prepare for Medical School Admission
Please note: Cal Poly Pomona does not offer any Medical program. The program is listed here merely for the purpose of providing general information in regards to this program to interested CPP students.
CPP students interested in pre-medicine should aim to meet the following minimum requirements for admission to most medical schools. Individual schools may have additional course prerequisites.
Minimum Degree and Course Pre-requisites for Admission in General
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution is required
- Each program has its own prerequisites. Check specific school for detail prerequisites. Admission Requirements for specific Medical school (http://www.aamc.org)
- General Course prerequisites include the following:
- 1 year English
- 1 year of General Biology with Laboratory
- 1 year of General (Inorganic) Chemistry with Laboratory
- 1 year of Organic Chemistry with Laboratory
- 1 year of Physics with Laboratory
Tests Needed: Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
MCAT Prep Courses
Suggested Time Table
Make an appointment to see your pre-professional advisor at least once every year.
- Decide the major(s) (Make an appointment to see a Career Counselor in Career Center at Cal Poly)
- Consider joining the CPP Pre-Medical Student Club
- Stay focused to achieve excellent academic performance (Most Medical schools will accept only students with a minimum 3.5 GPA)
- Participate health-related volunteer opportunities
- Take the time to develop relationships with faculty members for future letter of recommendations
- Continue to participate in health-related volunteer opportunities
- Study for the MCAT exam
- Consider enrolling in commercial MCAT prep courses
- Start getting the necessary application information ready
- Take the MCAT in Spring
Summer between Junior and Senior Year
- Complete collecting and preparing all the necessary materials for your application: personal statement, letter of recommendations, MCAT scores, etc.
- Submit the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application after June 1st (earliest time) for AMCAS medical schools. For the non-AMCAS medical schools, contact them directly for their applications
- For osteopathic medical schools, need to submit through AACOMAS application service
- Take the August MCAT exam if you have not taken the April exam or you want to get a better MCAT score
- Complete the "secondary applications" if you receive them
- If you were granted an interview, schedule a mock interview with your Pre-professional advisor for the upcoming interview
- Complete your undergraduate studies and have a nice vacation before dental school starts.
Medical Schools in the US