Retroactive Withdrawal

Retroactive Withdrawal is a Cal Poly Pomona process that allows students to petition to withdraw from all classes in one or more terms after those terms have ended. Students must apply for retroactive withdrawal within one calendar year from the last day of the term they unofficially withdrew from their classes and provide a clear explanation of why they did not withdraw from the university by filing appropriate forms with the Registrar’s Office during the term(s) in question.

Suggestions for Preparing your Request (PDF)

General Information on the Process (PDF)

Retroactive Withdrawal E-Form


For grades received in: 

Petition Deadline

Summer 2017 August 23, 2018
Fall 2017 November 30, 2018
Winter 2018 March 8, 2019
Spring 2018 May 31, 2019
Summer 2018 July 19, 2019

Last Updated: 8/15/18

Retroactive Withdrawal Policy

The administrative grade of “WU” will be given for a course if a student discontinues attendance and participation without officially dropping the course or withdrawing from the university. It is the sole responsibility of the student to formally drop courses by filing the appropriate forms with the Registrar’s Office in a timely manner. Retroactive Withdrawal will not be approved for students who did not withdraw from a course or courses because they did not report for the first meeting of a class and were not dropped.

When a student has received “WU” and/or "F" in all of the courses in which they enrolled during an academic term, the student may petition for retroactive withdrawal. The grades may be retroactively changed to the administrative grade of “W” if the student can demonstrate and document that serious and compelling reasons required their unofficial withdrawal from the university during the term in question and that the grades received were not earned (e.g. letter grades A-F).

A student has up to one (1) calendar year of the last day of the term in question to apply for retroactive withdrawal. A student does not have to be enrolled in the university at the time the application for Retroactive Withdrawal is submitted. 

If you have additional questions, please contact the
Office of Student Success
(909) 869-6975