Interruptions in Enrollment for Military Service

Members of the armed forces, National Guard, or Reserve are entitled to readmission to the university if their separation is caused by either voluntary or involuntary service on active duty for a period of more than 30 days.   

If you are called to active duty, you should notify a certifying official in the Registrar’s Office that you have been redeployed. This does not apply in situations where notice is precluded by military necessity or would compromise national security. 

After the completion of your military service, you may defer notifying the campus of your intent to return for no more than three years. If you are hospitalized or convalescing from an illness or injury during the performance of service, you are expected to notify the campus of your intent to return no later than two years after the end of your recovery.

To resume studies, you must notify a certifying official in the Registrar’s Office. Then, you should schedule a meeting with your advisor and establish an academic plan for the completion of your degree.

While veterans are permitted to resume their studies after discharge, in most cases it is not advisable to return to school after the beginning of the quarter because of the courses and assignments missed. Unless there are special circumstances, a student veteran will not be readmitted after census, typically, the 15th day of instruction.

A leave of absence, for reasons other than military, is also permitted after at least one quarter of enrollment.  As with other leaves, you should discuss such a request with your certifying official in the Registrar’s Office.

More information about leaves of absence is available at Leave of Absence on the Registrar’s web page.