Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies

Minor in Regenerative Studies

Eleni Kounalakis, Nayeon Kim, Lorenzo Tayag, and Janis Liu
California Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis listens to architecture students Nayeon Kim, Lorenzo Tayag and Janis Liu share the highlights of their project on bio-morphic cooling devices for green roofs. (Image by Tom Zasadzinski)


The minor in Regenerative Studies is a multidisciplinary program taught by faculty from all colleges on campus. It is designed for students majoring in all fields, including agriculture, environmental design, physical and social sciences, humanities and business. It is a perfect complement to a bachelor's degree for those interested in pursuing careers in environmental fields. The courses allow students to explore regenerative theories and practices, and to develop the problem-solving skills to forge new solutions for society's problems.

Students wishing to declare the minor in Regenerative Studies need to do the following:

  1. Please submit the Minor Request Form to the Registrar's Office at and email a copy to the Lyle Center at

Once the minor is officially added to your degree plan, you will be able to see progress toward fulfilling the minor requirements via the “Degree Progress Report” option in BroncoDirect; you will have access to advising resources within the program; and you will be notified of upcoming course opportunities and special events. Students need not declare the minor before taking RS courses, and may choose to declare at any time during their undergraduate career. However you are encouraged to do so early, so that you receive advising information about the program.

Any questions regarding advising or program requirements should be directed to program ASC Karen Mitchell,


The minor requires a total of 18 units achieved through any combination of courses offered through the Lyle Center. This means that there are no specific courses required, and the minor can be fulfilled in as few as six courses. Up to 12 units that apply towards the minor will also satisfy University General Education Requirements.

In consultation with the program advisor, each student will select from the following courses:

General Education Courses

Course Number Course Title (units) G.E. Credit
RS 1110 Introduction to Regenerative Studies (3) G.E. Area E
RS 3010 Life Support Processes (3) G.E. Area B5
RS 3020 Global Regenerative Systems (3) G.E. Area D4
RS 3030 Organization for Regenerative Practices (3) G.E. Area C3 or D4
RS 4500 Sustainable Communities (3) G.E. Area C3 or D4

Other Courses

Course Number Course Title (units)
RS 4140/L Current Applications in Regenerative Studies (3)  
RS 4200/L Watershed Restoration (3)
RS 4300/L Solar Energy Systems (3)
RS 4650 Ecological Patterns and Processes (3)
RS 4990/L Special Topics for Upper Division Students (1-3)

* Approval of study proposal must be granted before enrollment. 

** RS 4140 course numbers can be repeated for a total of 9 units. Topics offered under this course number will change quarterly. 

*** RS 4990 course numbers can be repeated for a total of 6 units, or more with special permission. Topics offered under this course number vary. 

In order to receive the minor award upon graduation, a student must declare the minor no later than the fifth week of the quarter in which they wish to graduate, so that it can be added to the degree plan. Once this has been added, you check your progress on the “Degree Progress Report” in BroncoDirect and it will indicate whether or not you have fulfilled the requirements. If it gives you the “Green light,” meaning that you have fulfilled the requirements, you should be all set to receive the minor designation on your transcript.

If it indicates the requirements are not fulfilled and you are uncertain as to why, please contact the program ASC, Karen Mitchell (, and we will work to resolve the issue. It’s important to note that minor awards cannot be made once you have received your degree, so any problems must be resolved during the quarter in which you are graduating. Upon graduation, completion of the minor will be reflected on your official transcript.