Lodging, Meals & Mileage Reimbursements
CSU Travel RegulationsAll Travel regulations are established by the CSU Board of Trustees and implemented by the Office of the Chancellor, California State University. Travel regulations are published in the "Integrated CSU Administrative Manual" (Policy Number 3601-01).
- As of November, 2015: maximum lodging rate for in-state & out-of-state travel is $275 per night, excluding taxes
- Rate includes Alaska, Hawaii & US possessions
- When arranging for accommodations, ask for state rate
- Overnight lodging in the State of California a "Claim for Exemption from Transient Occupancy Tax " should be submitted at the time of check-in for waiver of the tax fee.
- Reimbursement for meals will be for the actual cost of the meal to a maximum of $55 per day
- Reimbursement for incidental expenses is $7 per day
- Original and itemized receipts ae required for reimbursements of expenses of $75 or more for travel on or after November 1, 2015
- Meals associated with travel to Alaska, Hawaii, US Possessions and all foreign destination will be reimbursed in accordance with the Federal Maximum Travel Per Diem Allowances for Foreign Areas published by the U.S. Department of Defense and receipts will not be required.
- Lodging in international destinations will be reimbursed in accordance with the Federal Maximum Travel Per Diem Allowances for Foreign Areas published by the U.S. Department of Defense and receipts will not be required
- Meal reimbursements for daily travel of less than 24 hours are taxable and reportable income.
- The reimbursements are subject to Federal and State Income and applicable Social Security/Medicare taxes.
- January 1, 2018 and after: $0.545 cents per mile
- January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017: $0.535 cents per mile
- Relocation and moving occurring on or after January 1, 2018: $0.18 cents per mile.
- Relocation and moving occurring on January 1, 2016 - to December 31, 2016: $0.17 cents per mile
- Obtain all original receipts
- Request an itemized receipt for all expenses of $75 or more
- Receipts should be marked paid or show a zero balance