Office of Faculty Affairs

Tenure-Line Faculty Employment Eligibility Requirements

Welcome to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona!

Faculty hired into tenure-track positions must be either U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or on H-1B visas or TN visas. The H-1B program allows U.S. employers to hire foreign workers with professional degrees in specialty fields for maximum periods established by Federal Regulations.

How is Visa Processing Handled at Cal Poly Pomona?

The Office of Faculty Affairs within the Division of Academic Affairs supports tenure-track faculty hires with immigration related processes and appropriate documents to meet employment requirements. Although our office cannot provide legal advice, we hope that you will find the information on this page useful and answers your questions.

New tenure-track faculty hires must notify the Office of Faculty Affairs that they require an employment visa as soon as the job offer is made. Faculty Affairs will email the new faculty member a request for required documentation for the visa petition. The university facilitates the application process; however, it does not provide immigration attorney services. Please note that immigration laws are numerous and complex, change periodically, and circumstances are unique to each individual.  Cal Poly Pomona advises employees to retain legal representation from a firm that specializes in immigration law to advise you personally.  Applicants are responsible for keeping track of deadlines, meeting requirements, and be aware of expected processing times for applications.  At the request of the employee, Faculty Affairs can provide contact information for immigration attorney offices that have worked with past applicants.

The University pays the filing fee and the Fraud Prevention and Detection fee associated with a H1-B visa application. All attorney’s fees, as well as premium processing fees charged by government agencies, are the responsibility of the faculty member. The University does not cover any government fees or attorney fees for green card/permanent residency applications.

If you need additional information, please contact Mary Ferrel at or (909) 869-3407.