Mission & Vision
Our vision is to become a community of internationally recognized teacher-scholars, using an evolving curriculum, integrated with hands-on activities to educate students on the theory and practice of the biological sciences and thus to develop critical thinking skills and become life-long learners and successful professionals, scientists, and entrepreneurs.
The Department of Biological Sciences at Cal Poly Pomona will:
- Prepare students at the undergraduate and graduate levels for advanced degrees as well as productive careers in an increasingly complex, technical, and multicultural world;
- Provide a broad-based curriculum that supports general biology as well as interdisciplinary studies in environmental biology and biotechnology;
- Support the integration of teaching and research to advance biological knowledge through classroom, laboratory, field, and computational studies;
- Foster collaboration and communication among departments, colleges, and surrounding communities; and
- Apply the University’s learn-by-doing philosophy by integrating theory with practice to solve educational, environmental, health, and scientific problems of local and global communities.