Important information for Graduate students anticipating a Spring/Summer 2020 graduation date:
Please see the linked document regarding 3 options for students that may have had their progress delayed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Master's of Science Program in Biological Sciences
The Master of Science Degree in the Biological Sciences Department is designed to enhance the knowledge and competence of the student in his or her field of specialization and to develop the potential for a career of continuing, self-directed study and research. The curriculum also prepares candidates for further specialized training on the Ph.D. level and allows for entry into a variety of professional schools to pursue other advanced postgraduate degrees. The courses in the program are designed not merely for study in the field, but also to introduce various research techniques and require the continuing review of the scientific literature relevant to the graduate student studies. Graduates of the program have proceeded to contribute to the biotechnology industry, environmental sciences, agriculture, medical sciences and education.
Applications Deadline Update:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Biological Sciences Department will extend online applications (www2.calstate.edu/apply) for the Master’s in Biological Sciences for Fall 2020 entry until 7-1-20. Please note that all application materials must be received by 7-1-20 including all supporting documents. Also note that the requirement to take the GRE is waived for this application period. This update only pertains to applications for Fall 2020.
- As a matter of clarification: The overall undergraduate GPA the Department will consider for applicants to the Master's Program is 2.75. A 3.0 GPA over all undergraduate course work is recommended, but not required. Please read through the "Applicants" section found on the yellow ribbon at the top of this page for more information. It includes all of the departmental information on Applications/Admissions and details the new Admission and new Curriculum requirements.
- Information on deadlines is provided, but deadlines are set by the Admissions Office, so check with Admissions for information on applications and deadlines.
- Read the new guided section of the graduate program for Current Students
- Graduate level supervisory courses (BIO 5000, 6910, 6920, 6930, 6940, 6960) are not offered during Summer Semester. Please plan your schedules accordingly.
- Other important deadlines (University Graduate Studies Office)
- The Biological Sciences Department offers Student Awards and Scholarships every year (applications are accepted starting April 1 and due on May 5 by 5:00 PM). For more information, view application forms and other documents.