Financial Aid and Scholarships

How to Apply for Aid (FAFSA): Current Credential Students

Costs  |  Aid Programs  |  How to Apply for Aid (FAFSA)  |  How to Apply for Aid (DREAM)  |  After you Apply  |  Award Notification  |  Getting your aid  |  Keeping your aid 

 Priority filing deadline extended to April 1, 2022 (for the 2022-2023 year only)!

School Code 001144 

You must reapply for financial aid - including loans, grants, and Federal Work Study employment - each year. 

Your FAFSA is used to determine your eligibiliity for Federal, California State, and Cal Poly Pomona aid, and some scholarship providers may use your FAFSA information to determine whether you qualify for their awards.

When you fill out the FAFSA, you are applying for aid for a specific year. In order to receive aid the next year, you’ll need to submit that next year’s FAFSA. Luckily, Federal Student Aid makes it easy for you by allowing you to submit a Renewal FAFSA that remembers certain information you reported the year before and places it in your new FAFSA.

The FAFSA Application becomes available every October 1st for the next academic year – and the priority deadline for applying is March 2nd (for the 2022 – 2023 academic year, the application became available October 1st, 2021 and the priority deadline was extended to April 1, 2022).

Be sure to file before the priority filing deadline in order to be considered for the maximum types of aid.

If you miss the Priority Filing Deadline you will still be considered for the Federal Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans. 


Apply Now - FAFSA!

Students in the Credential Program are considered 5th year undergraduate students for Financial Aid purposes. Students who already possess an initial Teacher Credential, and are now working on an additional credential, are only eligible for federal loan funds (at the 5th year undergrad level) or for private education loans.

In order to be eligible for funding through the FAFSA Application, you must meet the citizenship eligibility criteria for Federal Student Aid: 

PLEASE NOTE: Students who received a Social Security Number through the Deferred Action of Childhood Arrival (DACA), and who qualify for AB540, should complete the California Dream Act Application in order to be considered for state financial aid, as they are NOT Eligible for Federal Student Aid. 

In addition to citizenship status, you must meet the other general eligibility criteria for federal student aid.  Review the information from Federal Student Aid for details. 

Most students are eligible to receive financial aid from the federal government to help pay for college or career school. Your age, race, or field of study won’t affect your eligibility for federal student aid. While your income is taken into consideration, it does not automatically prevent you from getting federal student aid.  To receive federal student aid, you’ll need to…  Qualify to obtain a college or career school education, either by having a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or by completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law  AND  Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program  AND  Be registered with Selective Service, if you are a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)  AND  Have a valid Social Security number unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau  AND  Sign certifying statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form stating that      you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe a refund on a federal grant and      you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes  AND  Maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school  In addition you must…  Be a U.S. CITIZEN or U.S. NATIONAL  You are a U.S. citizen if you were born in the United States or certain U.S. territories, if you were born abroad to parents who are U.S. citizens, or if you have obtained citizenship status through naturalization. If you were born in American Samoa or Swains Island, then you are a U.S. national.  OR  Have a GREEN CARD  You are eligible if you have a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C, also known as a green card, showing you are a U.S. permanent resident  OR  Have an ARRIVAL-DEPARTURE RECORD  Your Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must show one of the following:      Refugee      Asylum Granted      Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)      Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)      Parolee  OR  Have BATTERED IMMIGRANT STATUS  You are designated as a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” if you are a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act.  OR  Have a T-VISA  You are eligible if you have a T-visa or a parent with a T-1 visa.  Start filling out the FAFSA form at  The U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid provides more than $120 billion in grants, loans, and work-study funds each year to help pay for college or career school. Visit today to learn how to pay for your higher education.

Fact Sheets

Credential students are considered 5th year undergraduates for financial aid purposes.

To ensure all needed information is provided on the application, and to avoid delays in the processing of your financial aid file, please answer the following questions on the FAFSA Application as indicated below:


FAFSA Application questions and answers
Question Answer
What will your college grade level be when you begin the school year? 5th year/other undergraduate
What degree or certificate will you be working on when you begin the school year? Teaching credential (nondegree program)
At the beginning of the school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)? No

The FAFSA asks for important personal identification information as well as financial information. You may be asked to provide identification and financial information for your parents as well.  Details about the type of information, and documents needed to complete the application are available from Federal Student Aid. 

You or your parents may be able to have your tax & income information imported directly from the IRS into your FAFSA.  Learn more about providing financial information from Federal Student Aid. 

Transferring Data from the IRS

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information Into Your FAFSA Form.  WHY      EASY: Transfer info with the click of a button.      FAST: Instantly retrieve your information.      ACCURATE: Correctly fill in your information.  HOW      Log in to your current FAFSA form or start a new application at      In the finances section of the online form, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.      Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your info.      Once at the IRS site, enter your information exactly as it appears on your federal income tax return and click the “Submit” button.      Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA form” box, and click the “Transfer Now” button.      You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred because the words “Transferred from the IRS” will display in place of the IRS information in your FAFSA form.  For your protection, your tax information will not be displayed on either the IRS site or  The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit  Federal Student Aid An Office of the U.S. Department of Education Proud Sponsor of the American Mind®

Additional Resources

For FAFSA Applicants, you’ll need an FSA ID, a username and password combination that allows you to sign your FAFSA electronically. If you are a dependent student you should also have your parent request an FSA ID.  

You can get your FSA ID as you fill out the FAFSA, but getting an FSA ID before you begin the FAFSA could prevent processing delays, and it only takes a few minutes to apply. You can find out more information and apply for an FSA ID.  

Credential students are considered 5th year undergraduates for financial aid purposes.

All applicants for financial aid are considered either independent or dependent. Students who are under the age of 24 as of December 31 of the award year and do not meet any other very limited criteria, are considered “Dependent” for financial aid purposes.

Dependent students are required to include information about their parents on the application. By answering a few questions, you can get a good idea of which category you fit into.  Visit Federal Student Aid’s page on Dependency Status for information on the difference between a dependent and an independent student, and to determine your dependency status for financial aid purposes. 

 Fact Sheets

If you’re a dependent student, you’ll need to report parent information on your FAFSA. Visit Federal Student Aid’s page on reporting parent information to find out who counts as your parent, what to do if you don’t live with your parents, and what to do if you don’t have access to your parents’ financial information. 

Divorced or Separated Parents Who Live Together 

  • If your divorced parents live together, you’ll indicate their marital status as “Unmarried and both  
    parents living together,” and you will answer questions about both of them on the FAFSA Application.
  • If your separated parents live together, you’ll indicate their marital status as Married or remarried (not Divorced or separated), and you will answer questions about both of them on the FAFSA Application. 

The FAFSA Form & FSA ID Tips for Parents:


Dependent students are required to report parent information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). If you’re not sure whether you are a dependent student, go to  For reporting purposes, “parent” means your legal (biological or adoptive) parent or stepparent, or a person that the state has determined to be your legal parent.  Use this guide to figure out which parent’s information to include (depending on your family situation).  Question 1: Are your parents married to each other?  If yes, then report information for both parents on the FAFSA.  If no, then answer question 2.  Question 2: Do your parents live together?  If yes, then report information for both parents on the FAFSA, even if they were never married, are divorced, or are separated.  If no, then answer question 3.  Question 3: Did you live with one parent more than the other over the past 12 months?  If yes, then report information on the FAFSA for the parent you lived with more. Also, if this parent remarried, you will need to report information for your stepparent on the FAFSA.  If no, then report information on the FAFSA for the parent who provided more financial support over the past 12 months or in the last year you received support. Also, if this parent remarried, you will need to report information for your stepparent on the FAFSA.  The following people are not your parents unless they have legally adopted you:      Widowed Stepparent      Grandparents      Foster Parents      Legal Guardians      Older Brothers or Sisters      Aunts or Uncles  If you’re not sure whom to report as a parent, you can visit or call 800-4-FED-AID (800-433-3243).  Federal Student Aid  An Office of the U.S. Department of Education  Proud Sponsor of the American Mind®

Fact Sheets

If you are a Dependent Student, at least one parent must sign your application, even if you do not live with your legal parents (your biological and/or adoptive parents).

In order to electronically sign your FAFSA, your parent(s) will need a valid Social Security Number in order to apply for an FSA ID. If your parent is not able to apply for an FSA ID, you can print a signature page by selecting Print Signature Page on the “My FAFSA” or “Signature Status” page. Visit Federal Student Aid for more details. 

FSA ID Tips for Parents

Your family is primarily responsible, to the extent they are able, for paying for your college expenses.  Under very limited circumstances, an otherwise dependent student may be able to submit the FAFSA without parent information due to special circumstances.

In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your application without parent information despite being considered a dependent student: 

  • Your parents are incarcerated.
  • You have left home due to an abusive family environment.
  • You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been  
  • You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless. 

The online application will ask you whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. The site then allows you to submit your application without entering data about your parents. 

Once you’ve submitted your FAFSA, you will need to reach out to our office to discuss your options.  Be sure to gather as much information and supporting documentation about your situation as you can (legal documents; letters from a school counselor, a social worker, or clergy member; any other relevant information that helps document your special circumstance). 

Fact Sheets

Completing the FAFSA is not the last step; your FAFSA has to be processed, and then you get an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which Cal Poly Pomona uses to figure out how much aid you can get. Find out more about what happens after you fill out the FAFSA, how to review your Student Aid Report and how to correct any errors. 

If you were awarded Cal Grant A or B as an undergraduate, you may be eligible to renew your Cal Grant for up to 1 additional year while enrolled in a teaching credential program.

The additional year of payment may be provided if you are seeking an initial teaching credential but cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study.

Submit the G-44 Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Benefits Form
After submitting your FAFSA Application, you’ll need to submit a G-44 Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Benefits form to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) at the address on the form.

  • Submit your G-44 request after completing your bachelor’s degree and after being formally or conditionally accepted into a teaching credential program.

CSAC and Your WebGrants Account

After you have filed your FAFSA Application, you can go on-line and check the status of your Cal Grant application by logging on to WebGrants for Students and creating an account. This secure site provides you with resources, information and tools to assist you with the college financial aid process. It will also let you view the status of your Cal Grant application, update your address, submit corrections, view your payment history, update your college of attendance, or satisfy outstanding requirements

Creating an Account (WebGrants 4 Students)

Account Recovery (WebGrants 4 Students)

Additional Resources

CSAC Webgrants Information Guides

If you missed the Priority Filing Deadline (April 1st for the 2022-2023 year only), you should still complete the FAFSA Application.  Although you have missed the opportunity to be considered for Cal Poly Pomona and California State Grant funds for the year, there are other aid programs available to you.

In addition to the aid programs listed below, some scholarships, or private loans may require you to complete the FAFSA application to be considered. 

Financial Aid Programs at Cal Poly Pomona that are not impacted by the Priority Filing Deadline: 

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Federal Direct Loans 

You will have the opportunity to be considered for Cal Poly Pomona and California State Grants next year – when you complete the FAFSA again (you must complete a new FAFSA for each academic year).  The FAFSA becomes available every October 1st.