Financial Aid and Scholarships


The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at Cal Poly Pomona is honored to serve veterans, active-duty members of the United States military and their dependents!  Students receiving VA Educational Benefits can use a combination of financial aid sources including federal, state, institutional, and private scholarships to meet the total Cost of Attendance at Cal Poly Pomona.

Cal Poly Pomona Veterans Resource Center offers information related to the types of benefits, certification of VA benefits, contact information for dedicated support, and campus resources for students who have served in the military and their dependents.

We encourage you to file for financial aid if you will need additional aid during the academic year or while you are waiting for your VA educational benefits to arrive. To apply, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Students receiving VA Educational Benefits can use a combination of financial aid sources including federal, state, institutional, and private scholarships to meet the total Cost of Attendance at Cal Poly Pomona.

Effective July 1, 2015, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits (Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, 31, 33, 35 and certain ROTC benefits) are excluded in determining student eligibility for federal financial aid. Please note that Cal-Vet fee waivers are state-based awards and not subject to exclusion in your financial aid offer letter.

The VA Office has released a GI Bill®Comparison Tool for students receiving Chapter 33 benefits. The tool includes a Benefit Estimator, as well as helpful information about your school. The About This Tool page includes detailed information about this new tool.

We encourage you to file for financial aid if you will need additional aid during the academic year or while you are waiting for your VA educational benefits to arrive. To apply, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Getting Started with your VA Chapter Benefits: 

Getting Started with your VA Chapter Benefits

Getting Started with your Cal Vet Fee Waiver: 

Getting Started with your Cal Vet Fee Waiver

Basic Benefit Information  

The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. There are four plans under which dependents of veterans may be eligible. Visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information about the four plans, eligibility, contact information, FAQ’s and additional resources. 

College Fee Waiver Calculator

What Fees are Waived at  Cal Poly Pomona ?

Not all fees are waived under this program. Fees which are eligible for exemption at Cal Poly Pomona are the system-wide tuition fee.

  • The Cal Vet Fee Waiver covers Fall Semester through Summer Semester.
  • It is highly recommended that you bring the CAL VET Fee Waiver directly to the VA Certifying Official or to the Veterans Resource Center.
  • Complete the CAL VET Fee Waiver application process as soon as possible in the Summer (or possibly Spring) so that it is processed prior to when Fall Semester fees are due.

Cal Vet Fee Waivers do not apply to the Mandatory (Auxiliary) Campus Fees.  The Waiver does not apply to tuition and fees for self-supporting programs.  Such programs are not supported by state funds and are not subject to state law regarding exemptions for dependents of veterans.

What if I have Non-Resident Fees showing on my account? 

All questions concerning residency must be directed to the Residency Coordinator in the Office of Admissions.  If you are not classified as a California Resident by Cal Poly Pomona, your fee waiver will be invalid and you will be billed for full fees

How Do I Apply? 

To apply for the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, download the Cal Vet Fee Waiver application from the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.   After completing your application contact your local County Veteran Service Office (CVSO). Once you get to the website put your zip code and check the box on the right that is labeled "education."  After you click search you will be provided a list of the nearest VA offices that can process your Cal Vet application. 

Once approved, you will receive an Authorization Letter. Copies of authorization letters should be obtained through the CVSO for the county in which an application has been submitted. Once the authorization letter is received, the student or the CVSO should submit the letter to the VA Certifying Official at Cal Poly Pomona.

Reminder: You must reapply every academic year you wish to receive this benefit. Benefits are awarded on an academic year basis, and students are required to reapply each year for ongoing benefits. It is recommended that you apply for benefits and submit your authorization letter in a timely manner prior to attending school to have your fees waived before the initial fee payment deadline.

Will my Financial Aid, Cal Grant or Other VA Benefits be Affected by the Waiver? 

Yes.  T he Cal Grant , Middle Class Scholarship  and the CA Veterans College Fee Waiver are considered fee-paying resources and cover the exact same tuition. Therefore, students are only eligible to receive one during a period of enrollment.  St udents who have been awarded a Cal Grant Tuition Grant (or Middle Class Scholarship) and a CAL VET Fee  Waiver will have the tuition portion of the Cal Grant ( or the Middle Class Scholarship) returned to the California Student Aid Commission. 

Additional financial aid may also be affected by the waiver, up to the amount of the waiver, including  grants and  loans.  

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®(Chapter 33) payments for tuition are also affected by the waiver (or Cal Grant or Middle Class Scholarship). The tuition that the VA will pay directly to the school will be reduced by the amount of the waiver, the Cal Grant, or the Middle Class Scholarship.

If I receive a "retroactive" authorization, can I be reimbursed for prior semesters? ? 


If this is your situation, please contact the VA Certifying Official or the Veterans Resource Center for more information at 909 869 6994 or at

Additional Information and Resources

College Fee Waiver Calculator

Cal Vet Fee Waiver Application

Cal Vet Fee Waiver website

Cal Vet Resource Book (PDF)

Many benefits are available to advance the education and skills of veterans and service members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance.  Some might find they're eligible for more than one benefit or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another. Use the VA Education Programs Comparison Chart to determine which benefit you may be eligible to receive.

Below is an overview of some of the available Benefit Programs.  More information about educational benefits is available through the U.S. Veterans Affairs website.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Individuals eligible under Chapter 33 are generally entitled to 36 months of educational assistance.

As of August 1, 2009, the Post 9/11 GI Bill® is effective for training. Approved training under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, professional degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill® benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing.

Benefit Payments

  • Tuition and Fees: paid directly to the school on behalf of the student when the enrollment certification is processed. The tuition and fees payment is prorated by the students benefit level. The payment is the actual net cost for in-state tuition for tuition and fees after the application of tuition specific resources or waiver.
  • Monthly Housing Allowance: paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for previous month. The monthly housing allowance paid equals the Basic Allowance for Housing rate for an "E-5 with dependents" and the zip code of the school (For Cal Poly Pomona - 91768). The housing allowance is prorated by the student’s length of service percentage and the rate of pursuit if not full time.
  • Books and Supplies: stipend paid directly to the student. The stipend is $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.

Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website for further information about benefit payments rates.

More Information and How to Apply

Transfer of Eligibility

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer all or some of their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them with the VA.

For further information, visit the Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill® area of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and spouses of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of veterans who died while active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits.

The monthly benefit amount is paid directly to the student. The monthly payment for full-time training, as of 10/01/2020, is $1,265.


To be eligible, you must be the son or daughter (typically between ages 18 and 26), or spouse of:

  • A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the U.S. armed forces.
  • A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A Service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A Service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A Service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

More Information and How to Apply

For further detailed information and eligibility requirements visit the DEA area of the Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Current and past rates for this benefit can be found on the US Department of Veteran Affairs website under Rate Tables.

Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30 and 1606)

The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the US Armed Forces. These benefits are paid on a monthly basis directly to the veteran. Current and past rates for this benefit can be found on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website under Rate Tables.

There are two main programs under the Montgomery GI Bill®:

Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31) 

The mission of Veteran Readiness and Employment is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.


A veteran may be eligible for VR&E benefits if he or she:

  • Has received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable.
  • Has a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  • Applies for Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services.

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E's VetSuccess services may be used is 12 years from the latter of:

  • The date of separation from active military service
  • The date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating

More Information and How to Apply

Visit the Veteran Readiness and Employment area of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website for further information, including eligibility requirements, services, and how to apply.

General Information for All Benefits

How Can I Apply?

  • If you have never applied for your VA Educational Benefits, apply online through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:, or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
  • If you have already applied for your VA educational benefits and you want to use them at Cal Poly Pomona, please visit Cal Poly Pomona Veterans Resource Center – Money Matters.
  • Cal Poly Pomona VA Certifying Official:

It’s not only the VA that could provide you tuition assistance. You may be eligible for federal aid programs, California State and/or institutional grants, or scholarships in addition to your VA educational benefits.  Veterans, like any other college student, are eligible to apply for these federal grants and low-interest loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as the FAFSA.

Completing the FAFSA could help identify your eligibility for additional aid, beyond what you’ve earned through your military service. These options could include grants, which are need-based financial awards that do not need to be repaid.

Can I Receive both Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits? 

Yes! In fact, we encourage that you file your FAFSA to see what financial aid you may be eligible for. VA educational benefits aren’t always enough to cover the cost associated with being a student (books, living expenses, etc.), so financial aid can be helpful.

Members of the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships are available to help you determine what would be beneficial for you to accept from the financial aid package you are offered. Grants and scholarships are “free” money, but loans are debt that you do pay back.

Reminder: The FAFSA is available starting October 1 for the following academic year and the priority deadline to be considered for state and institutional grants is March 2 – so don’t forget to complete the FAFSA early! 

Can my VA Benefits Affect my Financial Aid? 

Yes. In some cases, your financial aid can be affected by your VA educational benefits. The only VA educational benefits that may affect your financial aid award is the Chapter 33 tuition. Each award is different, so a VA educational benefit may affect each person’s award differently. But by filling out the FAFSA, you will maximize your funding for school and in most cases receive substantially more funding

Can I Receive both the Cal Grant and the CAL VET College Tuition Fee Waiver? 

No. The CAL VET Tuition Waiver and the Cal Grant are both considered fee-paying resources and they both cover the same thingtherefore, students are only eligible to receive one during a period of enrollment. students who have been awarded both a Cal Grant and a CAL VET Fee Waiver will have the tuition portion of the Cal Grant, or the Middle Class Scholarship, returned to the California Student Aid Commission Additional financial aid may also be affected by the waiver, up to the amount of the waiver, including grants and loans. 

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 33, payments for tuition and fees are also affected by the waiver (or Cal Grant or Middle Class Scholarship). The tuition and fees that the VA will pay directly to the school will be reduced by the amount of the waiver, the Cal Grant, or the Middle Class Scholarship.

What Scholarships are Available for Veterans and Military Dependents? 

Review information about scholarships on our Scholarships page.  You are also encouraged to apply for additional outside scholarships.  

The following major national organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families: 

There are many smaller veterans service organizations around the country that might offer scholarships. Check with your local organization or try a scholarship search.  Be sure to also review the information on Scholarships for Military Families (PDF) from Federal Student Aid.   

Do I have to Report my Veterans Education Benefits on the FAFSA? 

No. You do not have to report VA education benefits on the FAFSA. However, you do need to report non-education VA benefits on the FAFSA. Non-education benefits include: disability, death pension, dependency indemnity compensation and/or VA Work-Study allowances. 

What happens to my financial aid if I am called to Active Duty?

You will not lose financial aid eligibility if you take a leave of absence from school. Future aid will not be disbursed; you will not be responsible for paying back any funds. Please notify our office when you return so that we can prepare an aid package that reflects your current status.

Complete a Military Service Deferment Request Form (PDF) from Federal Student Aid to keep your loans from going into repayment.

Who can I Contact About Financial Aid and VA Benefits? 

For general questions and information about the FAFSA and financial aid, please stop by or contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

For questions about VA benefits and/or how your VA benefits will affect your financial aid award, contact Elke Azpeitia, the VA Certifying Official for Cal Poly Pomona located in the Veterans Resource Center. 

Cal Poly Pomona is committed to supporting Student Veterans, Service Members, and other military-affiliated students such as dependents, as they pursue their post-secondary education and employment goals by means of the “8 Keys” initiative through the Departments of Education, Veterans Affairs, and Department of Defense.

  1. Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
  2. Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
  3. Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
  4. Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
  5. Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
  6. Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
  7. Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
  8. Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans

*To find out more information regarding the “8 Keys” visit the U.S. Department of Education’s Website.

The Principles of Excellence were announced on April 27, 2012 by President Obama in Executive Order 13607, to ensure that student Veterans, Servicemembers, and family members have information, support, and protections while using Federal education benefits.

Cal Poly Pomona fully complies with the seven principles and is dedicated to helping our veteran and non-veteran students succeed! Educational institutions participating in the Principles of Excellence program agree to the following guidelines:

Provide students with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.

The College Financing Plan is a consumer tool that participating institutions use to notify students about their financial aid package. It is a standardized form that is designed to simplify the information that students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. This can be found in MyCPP Student Center and Bronco Direct.

Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.

Each student can access their degree plan through Bronco Direct.  A list of all degree plans can be found in the university’s online catalog.

End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations

The University does not, and has never, conducted fraudulent or aggressive recruiting on or off military installations or in any other venue, nor do we misrepresent ourselves, our programs, or our mission. We do not pay incentive compensation to anyone for recruiting actions. We meet all State authorization requirements consistent with those issued by the Department of Education.

Accommodate Service members and Reservist absent due to service requirements.

One of the most important roles our faculty and staff play is one of support for students who are called to active duty on short notice. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, or Reserves are entitled to readmission to the university if their separation is caused by either voluntary or involuntary service on active duty for a period of more than 30 days.   

If you are called to active duty, you should notify Samuel Kim, VA Certifying Official, or the Veterans Resource Center at 909 869 6994 or e-mail at that you have been deployed. This does not apply in situations where notice is precluded by military necessity or would compromise national security. 

After the completion of your military service, you may defer notifying the campus of your intent to return for no more than three years. If you are hospitalized or convalescing from an illness or injury during the performance of service, you are expected to notify the campus of your intent to return no later than two years after the end of your recovery.

To resume studies, you must notify Elke Azpeitia, VA Certifying Official, at or contact the Veterans Resource Center at 909-869-6994 or e-mail at Then, you should schedule a meeting with your advisor and establish an academic plan for the completion of your degree.

Designate a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice

The University’s Veterans Resource Center is the designated Point of Contact for matters associated with the Principles of Excellence. This office is the liaison with the Regional Processing Office, to assist veterans and dependents of veterans with their education benefits. The Veterans Resource Center also provides programming and resources for the campus community. Students will be referred to other University offices as needed for specific issues.

Veterans Resource Center

Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students

Cal Poly Pomona is regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Cal Poly Pomona works with our accrediting agency to ensure accreditation of new programs prior to enrolling students in those programs.

Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid programs.

Military and veteran students and their family members attending Cal Poly Pomona follow the same refund policies as do all other students at the University.

In carrying out the Principles of Excellence Executive Order 13607, Cal Poly Pomona commits to providing the College Financing Plan to veterans and service members before a decision is made to attend.

What is the College Financing Plan?

The College Financing Plan (annotated) is a consumer tool the College uses to notify students, who file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and are using Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits, about their financial aid packages.  It is a standardized form designed to help students make informed decisions about funding their education who have applied to multiple institutions.

Will all veteran students have access to the College Financing Plan?

Students who file a FAFSA and indicate on their application for admission that they are using VA education benefits will receive a College Financing Plan.

What is the difference between the College Financing Plan and the award letter?

Cal Poly Pomona makes every effort to provide each financial aid recipient with an award letter that is clear and complete. Since colleges and universities use many different formats for their award letters, students may find it difficult to compare the financial aid offers from various schools.

The College Financing Plan is a standardized form used by schools that have agreed to comply with the VA’s Principles of Excellence. The Principles are designed to help ensure that students can make good educational and financial decisions using a clear, comparative tool that evaluates various financial aid awards. The college financing plan generates figures that are estimates only and all tuition rates and fees are subject to change without notice.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

If you have questions about your military-related education benefits, please contact Elke Azpeitia, VA Certifying Official.

Additional Resources

College Financing Plan Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)