College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my major to Communication?

Who is my advisor and how do I contact him/her?

  • The list of advisors is located on the inside door of the Communication Department,1-313.
  • Advisors’ office hours and email addresses are posted next to their names. 
  • As a good practice, students should make an appointment and have all applicable forms (i.e., petitions, worksheets) ready before meeting with their advisor.
  • Advisor information is also available online at

Where can I get more information about the three options in Communication?

What can I do about holds on my account?

  • If it is a Communication Department hold: 
    • Complete the Academic Advising worksheet with your advisor, get your advisor’s signature, and submit the worksheet to Victoria at the Communication Department and this should be done at least two weeks prior to your registration date.
  • If the hold was NOT placed by the Communication Department:
    • Log into BroncoDirect and click on the link for holds to find out which department placed them hold. Then, contact that department for more information.

How do I know what classes to take?

  • Log into BroncoDirect and check your Degree Progress Report at
  • Or, refer to your curriculum (pink) sheet for the year you entered the major.
  • If you do not have a curriculum sheet, a copy can be obtained from the Communication Department.
  • A copy can also be obtained by going to the Communication Department website and selecting your option and curriculum year at

How do I do a course substitution?

  • Complete a Substitution Petition with your advisor.
  • If the course is not from Cal Poly Pomona, you will need to attach a catalog course description.
  • Get your advisor’s signature and submit the form to the Communication Department.
  • The form can be obtained from the Communication Department or found on the Registrar’s webpage at

How do I replace a grade (grade forgiveness)?

How do I minor in Communication?

More questions?