Master's of Science Program in Biological Sciences
The Master of Science Degree in the Biological Sciences Department is designed to enhance the knowledge and competence of the student in his or her field of specialization and to develop the potential for a career of continuing, self-directed study and research. The curriculum also prepares candidates for further specialized training on the Ph.D. level and allows for entry into a variety of professional schools to pursue other advanced postgraduate degrees. The courses in the program are designed not merely for study in the field, but also to introduce various research techniques and require the continuing review of the scientific literature relevant to the graduate student studies. Graduates of the program have proceeded to contribute to the biotechnology industry, environmental sciences, agriculture, medical sciences and education.
Admissions and Deadlines
- Applications: All applications are to be submitted at https://www.calstate.edu/apply
- In addition see our Applicants page
Supporting materials (Departmental and University requirement)
- Admissions workbook
- Letters of recommendation
- GRE general test official scores
- Statement of intent
- Identification of sponsor
- Completion of all course requirements for undergraduate degree
Deadlines for applying (https://www.calstate.edu/apply applications)
- Winter 2017 applications: 10/1/16
- Spring 2017 applications: 1/15/16
Deadlines for supporting materials
- Winter 2017 applications: 11/1/16
- Spring 2017 applications: 2/15/16
- Also see the University Admissions webpage
- As a matter of clarification: The overall undergraduate GPA the Department will consider for applicants to the Master's Program is 2.75. A 3.0 GPA over all undergraduate course work is recommended, but not required. Please read through the "Applicants" section found on the yellow ribbon at the top of this page for more information. It includes all of the departmental information on Applications/Admissions and details the new Admission and new Curriculum requirements.
- Information on deadlines is provided, but deadlines are set by the Admissions Office, so check with Admissions for information on applications and deadlines.
- Get connected to Cal Poly Pomona - become a Bronco VIP. We will communicate electronically the information you request as well as important announcements.
- Read the new guided section of the graduate program for Current Students
- Other important deadlines (University Graduate Studies Office)
- Leave of Absence - Students considering taking a quarter off from enrollment at Cal Poly must observe the following University Rules and Regulations:
- The Biological Sciences Department offers Student Awards and Scholarships every year (applications are accepted starting April 1 and due on May 5 by 5:00 PM). For more information, application forms and other documents click here.