International Students and Scholars Office

Student Visas to Study at CPP

As an international student at CPP, it is most likely that you will have one of two types of nonimmigrant status: F-1 or J-1.

As a nonimmigrant student, you will face certain restrictions:

  • You are limited in what you can do while in the United States.
  • You will have to follow certain regulations to maintain your legal status.
  • You will have a date by which you must leave the country or apply for further privileges.
  • You must have a home outside the United States to which you intend to return.

All full-time, degree-seeking international students qualify for an F-1 visa.  However, international students participating in one of CPP's visiting exchange programs qualify for a J-1 visa.

The International Students and Scholars Office is a resource for you throughout your stay. Ask us any questions you have, and we will do our best to help you.

Common Questions


  • A stamp in your passport that allows you to request permission to enter the United States.

Visa Status

  • Your status is your immigration status.
  • You need to maintain your status paperwork throughout your time here in order to stay in the United States—and we will help you do that.

The majority of full-time international students at Cal Poly Pomona have F-1 status. You can apply for F-1 status no matter how you are funding your education. Your dependents (your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21) will not be eligible to study full time or work in the United States. Learn more about F-1 status.

J-1 status is for exchange students and visiting scholars/fellows. If you are participating in an exchange or visiting scholar program and will be at CPP for a set time period (typically a semester or an academic year), you are considered an exchange visitor.

If you attend CPP in J-1 status, you may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement after you complete your program. While you are here, your spouse and other dependents are free to study full or part time and to apply for work authorization. Learn more about J-1 status.

Maybe. If your circumstances change, you can sometimes switch to a different nonimmigrant status. Learn more about Change of Status process.
CEU Footer