Study Abroad

Course Approval and Transcripts

Course PRE-Approval Process

The Academic Planning Form is documentation of a student's coursework abroad and connects their degree requirements with education abroad coursework on all CPP exchange, affiliated, and non-CPP programs.

Preferably after the application deadline for a study abroad program, students will need to work with the Department Chair of CPP course(s) for study abroad course pre-approvals. 

Credit Transfer and Grade/Credit Conversion

Depending on the subject area of the course taken abroad, a student’s credit can be transferred back in one of the following two ways:

  • CPP Credit (counts toward your CPP GPA)
  • Transfer credit (counts toward Overall GPA)
  • Resident credit (CSUIP program; counts toward CPP GPA)

If there is a course that a student wants to take but is not listed, students need to receive approval from their academic advisor and/or the appropriate CPP college contact.

When a student contacts/meets with someone for course pre-approval, students are advised by our office to have relevant course descriptions from the host university/program.

Processing Study Abroad Transcripts

Official transcripts from the host university are sent directly to the Office of Study Abroad:

Mailing Address:
Cal Poly Pomona
ATTN: International Center
3801 W Temple Ave, Pomona, CA 91768

Reciept of transcripts can take up to four months after the program end date, depending on the host university academic calendar and processing. Students should keep this in mind when registering for courses after they return to CPP, or when they are preparing for graduation.

  • Receipt of Transcript
    The International Center will receive a copy of your transcripts after the termination of the school term you went abroad.

  • Transfer Credit
    The Office of Study Abroad will send your transcript to the Office of Admissions & Enrollment Planning to input your transfer credit.  Processing time is approximately 1 - 2 weeks, after transcripts are received. NOTE:Transcripts may take 2 – 3 months to arrive at the Office of Study Abroad.

Petitioning for Study Abroad Coursework

  1. Check CPP Transcript
    Go on BroncoDirect and view student's unofficial transcript to see that that grades have been posted. If grades have not been posted, notify the International Center staff immediately.

  2. Request for Course Substitution
    When the transfer credit has posted, students initiate with their Academic Advisor the General Academic Petition E-Form to petition for courses to be posted, as per student's Academic Advising Agreement.
CEU Footer

CEU Footer

College of the Extended University Study Abroad
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Bldg 1-104
Pomona CA 91768
Phone: 909-869-3267
Office Hours:
Monday – Friday 
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM