Study Abroad

Parents & Families

With many incoming freshmen indicating an interest in education abroad, it’s likely your student is considering options abroad.  
At the Office of Study Abroad, we recognize the important role parents and families often play in supporting their students through the process of participating in a study abroad program. Our dedicated staff looks forward to assisting your family through this journey. 

Please review the information contained on this page as you help your student engage in their preparation.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 

Frequently Asked Questions from Parents

In today’s global society, an international experience has become an essential component of higher education. Study abroad enriches your student’s academic experience by combining their studies with new experiences. They will live in interesting places, visit historically and culturally significant sites, and interact with a diverse population. Many students return having gained the following skills/benefits: 

  • Heightened interpersonal and communication skills
  • Increased sensitivity to other cultures 
  • Becoming more adaptable, assertive, and independent 
  • Closer relationships with fellow students and faculty 
  • Confidence and self-assurance 
  • New or verified career goals 
  • Foreign contacts and networking connections 
  • Readiness to participate in further international and new organizations/activities 

Applications for programs are accepted on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better! Application deadlines are as follows: 

  • Summer/Fall: February 15   
  • Winter Break/Spring Semester: September 15 

Some programs will fill up before the deadline, so remember to apply early! 

OSA works closely with University Risk Management, the Student Health Center, and colleges/ departments to prevent or minimize the impact of risks to CPP students traveling internationally. 

 OSA supports the safety of Broncos traveling internationally by: 

  • Providing 24/7 emergency assistance 
  • Monitoring international events and global public health concerns 
  • Developing emergency and crisis management protocols, travel guidelines, and the best health, safety and security practices
  • Training faculty leaders and assistants in these protocols and best practices
  • Offering mandatory pre-departure orientation and guidance for students going abroad 
  • Assessing risk for study abroad programs
  • Coordinating international health insurance 
  • Maintaining international health insurance coverage 

It is not uncommon for students to become homesick during study abroad programs. However, homesickness can be part of the learning and growing process for your student. Please see the links below with useful information and tips on how to help your student. 

Homesickness isn't really about 'home'- 

How to Avoid Feeling Homesick While Studying Abroad Over the Holidays- 

How to deal with Homesickness- 

Once a program has been selected, students should begin to apply for passport (if they do not already have one) and, if necessary, the appropriate visa documents.  Depending on the location and duration of the program, the necessary documentation will vary.  For international students, some extra time and consideration may be required in respect to this matter. 

Please visit the U.S. Department of State for the latest information on passport application and renewal policies. 

Some countries may have additional entry requirements (i.e., visas, immunizations, additional fees, etc.).  Please visit the U.S. Department of State page for visas and for more information.  

Bronco Scholarship 

CPP scholarships are available from on-campus sources such as CPP colleges, departments, and support units. Contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.  

To apply, visit 

Other sources of scholarships for study abroad

While students are abroad, they are expected to follow all CPP rules for student conduct. A student may be sent home should their behavior not reflect the values and expectations set forth by CPP. 

Students are also expected to comply with the law of the country in which they are studying, as well as the laws of the countries in which they travel. While abroad, students should conduct themselves as guests, keeping in mind that they are subject to all the laws of the country while not necessarily enjoying the same privileges as nationals.  Students unsure about what constitutes acceptable behavior in the country they are studying in should consult with the Office of Study Abroad or the program leader. The use, possession, or trafficking of drugs and other illegal substances is forbidden.

Students may withdraw from a program at any time, but their withdrawal must adhere to the guidelines identified in their specific program, which they signed at application. Withdrawals must be in writing from the student.  Phone calls are NOT an acceptable method for withdrawing from a program. 

Refunds depend on when a student withdraws and will be subject to the Office for Study abroad's Refund and Charge Policy.   

The Office of Study Abroad will help students consider alternative options if their program of choice doesn’t work out. Please encourage your student to visit contact their Study Abroad Advisor for assistance. We are here to help! 

Depending on the type of program that your student has chosen, your student may be making their own flight arrangements. Hold off booking any flights until your student has been officially accepted into their study abroad program and has received assurance that the program dates are confirmed. When booking, consider the layover time, connections, and arrival times at the destination. 

For Faculty-Led programs, your student will receive arrival instructions from program leader. For other programs, your student should check with the host institution or the Office of Study Abroad for arrival information.  

It is important to note that your student may not have constant accessibility to communicate with you. Consider the time differences, and that students may also be busy with classes or immersing themselves in the experience – so do not worry if you do not hear from your student every single day. However, there are several options for communicating with your student during their time abroad: 

  • Facebook 
  • Skype 
  • FaceTime 
  • Google Hangout 
  • International Phone Plans 
  • Internet Cafes 
  • Viber 
  • WhatsApp 
  • Zoom 

We recommend that your student have a general physical exam before departure. Check the Center for Disease Control website for information about vaccinations and country-specific health information. Some countries require proof of certain vaccinations before you can enter the country. If your student has a chronic ailment, make sure he or she packs a complete medical record and typed copy of any prescription medication. 

Students should visit a health clinic such as thCPP Student Health Services for advice concerning updating immunizations, and information about bringing medication/prescriptions abroad. 

For more information, visit the CPP Student Health Services Travel Consulations page.  

 If your student has special medical or dietary needs, we suggest the following: 

  • Have your physician indicate the generic name of the medication. The brand name of your student’s medication could go by another name in the host country. 
  • Research how the student’s condition is typically treated in the host country, or how pharmacies dispense prescription medication. 
  • Know how the medical condition is commonly known in the host country so he or she can make the condition known without delay if medical attention is needed. 
  • Talk with your insurance company and pharmacy so the student can bring enough medication with them. 

Your student is required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation, here are some topics that will be covered regarding health & safety: 

Pre-Departure Checklist 

  • Research your destination on the U.S. Department of State website. 
  • Be sure your passport and visa(s) are current. Your passport should not expire less than 90 days after returning home. 
  • Carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times. 
  • Visit a health clinic such as the CPP Student Health Services for advice concerning updating immunizations, and information about bringing medication/prescriptions abroad. 
  • Review your international health insurance coverage 
  • Enroll in STEP – Smart Travelers Enrollment Program. Non-U.S. citizens: check if your local embassy/consulate offers a similar service. 
  • Make two copies of all important documents being carried. 

Safety Tips While Traveling 

  • Maintain a high level of vigilance and avoid traveling alone whenever possible. 
  • Minimize time spent in large crowds remain aware of exits when inside buildings. 
  • Regularly monitor local and international media to increase awareness of local events. Heed the advice of local authorities and your host institution or program leader. 
  • Do not participate in protests or demonstrations as even those with peaceful intentions may become unsafe. 
  • Pre-program important contact numbers into your mobile phone. 

Emergency Contacts 

If it is business hours, call the International Center (860) 869-3267 

24/7 CPP International Assistance Line:  +1-517-353-3784 

International SOS 24/7 Assistance Line: +1-215-942-8478 
*for immediate assistance, contact your destination local emergency number (911 equivalent) 

International SOS 
U.S. Department of State 

Centers for Disease Control 
Local Emergency Numbers ("911 Abroad") 
alphabetical list of countries' emergency numbers 

Decide with your student how to access money for both everyday financial needs and emergencies. For the most part, students studying abroad secure cash by withdrawing money from an ATM using the debit or cash card they already use in the United States, and paying for large purchases with a credit card in their name. Using these two methods are not only convenient, they also offer the best exchange rate. Students should withdraw a larger amount every once in a while rather than small amounts every day. 

Make sure to inform your bank that your student will be using his or her credit and ATM card abroad to avoid deactivation of the cards for irregular use. Check with the bank to determine the daily limit of funds received. Many U.S. banks also charge a transaction fee every time the card is used on a nonbank ATM. You might want to inquire if this fee could be waived when your student is studying abroad.  


Depending on the country your student will go to, an electrical adapter may well be necessary.  An adapter is a small devise that a US plug can plug into, which then can be plugged into a different configuration electrical receptacle/outlet.  These can be very difficult to source in the foreign country, so students need to bring adapters with them.  

Different countries have different outlet configurations.   

Cell Phones 

Inquire with your cellular provider about their international plans and/or fees. For study abroad students, the cheapest and most convenient option is usually to buy a new SIM card when they arrive at their destination (depending on the length of their stay). Alternatively, cell phones are usually affordable and often run on minutes, which are easy to manage weekly or monthly.  


Below is a list of links helpful for families when considering Study Abroad. 

Articles of interest 


CEU Footer

CEU Footer

College of the Extended University Study Abroad
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Bldg 1-104
Pomona CA 91768
Phone: 909-869-3267
Office Hours:
Monday – Friday 
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM