Registrar's Office

Cal Poly Pomona VA Services


Reserve Officers' Training Corps

More Information

As a veteran or member of the military, you will receive priority registration each semester of enrollment. By registering early, you will have more options in choosing courses to meet your degree requirements and personal schedule. Dependents of veterans do not qualify for priority registration through this program. To be added to the priority registration list, you must see the VA Certifying Official in the Veterans Resource Center, who will give you the information you will need. Your priority registration will automatically be renewed each semester.

Military Credit (GE AREA E)

Six (6) semester units of elective credit will be allowed toward a baccalaureate degree for a student who submits evidence of completion of "boot camp." Three (3) of the six (6) semester units will be applied toward General Education Area E.

  • An additional 9 semester units of elective credit will be allowed toward graduation to any student submitting evidence of receiving a commission in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps. Credit is not given for completion of the six-month reserve training programs or for college level general educational development tests.
  • Credit for specific courses may be allowed if the student has satisfactorily completed equivalent study in a military service school. The guidelines of the American Council on Education are followed in determining eligibility and approval must be granted by the department teaching the specific course for which credit is sought.
  • For more information, please read the Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans (Semester).

MPA 5410 Waiver (1-3 Semester Units)

Veteran students majoring in Public Administration, M.P.A., may apply to waive 3 units of MPA 5410 (Internship) (formerly MPA 698, 1-4 quarter units). A DD-214 with honorable discharge must be submitted to the Director of the MPA program, Dr. Brady Collins. To apply for the MPA 5410 waiver, please submit the Program of Study form and a copy of your DD-214 to:

Dr. Brady Collins, MPA Director
Political Science Department
(909) 869-3573

Articulation agreements for military courses with American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations are published through the Transfer Evaluation System. The articulation agreements specify specific course credit to be awarded for certain courses taken while in the military. To receive credit, student veterans must first submit an official military transcript to the Registrar's Office. Veteran students may be eligible for additional course credit. For more information, please read the Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans (Semester).

Students who are utilizing Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® and/or Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment Program, the VA Certifying Official will save their classes from being dropped due to non-payment. Chapter 1606, Chapter 30, and Chapter 35 are not included. The Office of Financial Aid will save classes for those who are receiving Financial Aid.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, or Reserves are entitled to readmission to the university if separation is by either voluntary or involuntary active duty service for more than thirty (30) days.   

If you are called to active duty, please email Cal Poly Pomona Veteran Service Representatives at or visit the Veterans Resource Center. This situation does not apply where the notice is precluded by military necessity or would compromise national security. For more information, visit the Veterans Resource Center's Veteran Enrollment website.

Thank you!