The primary function of the Agricultural Education Program is the preparation of teachers of agricultural education for the public secondary schools of California. Specialized preprofessional and professional courses are offered for undergraduate and graduate (fifth year) students. Technological, scientific, and broad general education course work for agriculture teaching candidates is offered throughout the College of Agriculture and other Colleges including the College of Education and Integrative Studies.

Students with an interest in becoming agriculture teachers are advised to enroll in the agricultural science major and obtain a B.S. degree, or they may complete a B.S. degree in one of the other approved majors in the College of Agriculture. Agricultural Science majors and all students who wish teacher certification are required to show competency in four areas of agriculture. This can be accomplished by completing the subject matter program in agriculture or receiving a passing score on the CSET for Agriculture.

In addition to coursework in four areas of agriculture, students who plan to teach agriculture must have two years of practical experience in agriculture and must complete an Agricultural Specialist Credential. The Agricultural Specialist Credential requires a minimum of 45 additional units beyond the B.S. degree. Some of the graduate work may be applied towards a Master of Science in Agriculture, Agricultural Science subplan.

Enrollment in a Single Subjects Credential program is required in order to qualify for student teaching. Candidates for the Single Subjects teaching credential who are not agricultural science majors are advised to wisely use the electives available in their major in order to complete required teaching credential courses which are not normally specified in their undergraduate major. Because of the wide range of variables involved, all candidates for teaching certification are urged to consult the Agricultural Education Program Coordinator as early as possible in their college careers.

For students wishing to obtain a Master of Science in Agriculture, such a degree has been approved with a subplan in Agricultural Science.

Single Subjects Teaching Credential

In order to qualify for a credential through course work rather than the CSET, candidates must complete the following:

  • 18 units in Animal and/or Veterinary Science
  • 18 units in Agricultural Mechanics, Agricultural Engineering, or Landscape Irrigation
  • 8 units in Agricultural Business Management and/or Farm Management/ Agricultural Economics
  • 26 units in a combination of courses in Agronomy, Plant Science, Soils, and Ornamental Horticulture, and Agricultural Biology

Students who are Agricultural Science majors automatically meet this requirement as a part of their degree requirements.

Others should consult with the Agricultural Education Coordinator. In addition to a B.S. in Agriculture, students preparing to student teach must complete requirements for the Single Subjects Credential. The courses to be taken are required of all teaching credential candidates regardless of subject matter area.

Agricultural Specialist Credential

In addition to a B.S. in Agriculture, students preparing to teach agriculture must complete the requirements for the Single Subject credential and the requirements for the Agricultural Specialist Credential. The courses include:

Course Title Course Number  Unit(s)
Introduction to Agricultural Education Programs AGS 300 3
Special Study AGS 400 2
Agriculture Skills and Facilities AGS 420/420A 3
Program Planning and Development AGS 430 3
Teaching Methods in Agriculture AGS 440 4
Early Field Experience in Ag Ed AGS 441 4
Youth and Adult Leadership Programs AGS 505/505A 3

Students are also required to have a concentration of 27 units, including 9 upper division, in one area of agriculture. This is generally completed as an undergraduate. A minimum of two years of verified work experience in agriculture is also required. A total of 45 graduate credit units are required for the Agricultural Specialist Credential.

Students may complete the requirements for both the Single Subject and the Agricultural Specialist Credentials concurrently. A limited number of courses may be taken at the undergraduate level. Students should consult with the Agricultural Education program coordinator prior to enrolling in any courses to be used for credentialing purposes.


Academic programs offered by the Don B. Huntley College of Agriculture include eight bachelor of science programs, two master of science programs, fourteen minors, two credential programs and one internship program. See each major home page or our catalog for more details.