The Department of Political Science has a long and storied history of sending our students to illustrious careers in government, public service and business. Our faculty provide a world-class education, complete with hands-on mentoring, practical real-world experience and invaluable wisdom that equips our students to change the world.
Connect with us again!
We have specific groups targeted to our alumni on both Facebook and LinkedIn. Any current student, graduate, or faculty member of our department is welcome to join to reconnect with old classmates:
Additionally, alumni are welcome to donate to the Department of Political Science. Donations of any size appreciated, small donations of a low dollar amount are also welcome. Funds designated to go to the Department of Political Science are used for scholarships, department events, and student success intiatives. To set up planned giving, please contact Dr. Jill Hargis (Jehargis@cpp.edu).
As a testament to the work and legacy of the Department of Political Science, many of our graduates have gone on to exciting careers in government, public service, and the private sector. Cal Poly Pomona is ground zero for the development of some of the brightest minds in Southern California and our graduates are no exception:
- Hilda Solis '79 (Los Angeles County Supervisor, Former US Secretary of Labor, Former US Congresswoman)
- Renee Mockatel, Esq. '79 (Partner, Allred, Maroko, & Goldberg)
- Linda Lopez '92 (Chief Immigration Officer, City of Los Angeles)
- Lee Godown '79 (Vice-President of Global Government Relations, General Motors)
- James R. Bell '75 (Former Vice President of Student Affairs, Cal Poly Pomona)
- Jim Brulte '80 (Chairman of the California Republican Party)
- Nestor De La Torre '12 (Former Councilmember, City of Altadena)
- Jonathan D. Farrar '78 (Former US Ambassador to Panama)
- Clint Lorimore '04 (Councilmember, City of Eastvale)
- Jorge Marquez '06 (Councilmember, City of Covina)
- Ivan Misner '78 (Founder and Chairman, BNI)
- John Mortberg '06 (Administrator, City of Carson)
- Geanene Yriarte '90 (Superior Court Judge, Los Angeles County)
Distinguished Alumni Awards
Since 2015, the Cal Poly Pomona Alumni association has recognized outstanding faculty alumni for their contributions to their respective careers and fields. The Department of Political Science has an excellent record in having department alumni receiving the Cal Poly Pomona Distinguished Alumni award.
Renee Mochkatel, Esq. '79 (2018 Distinguished Alumni Recipient)
Renee Mochkatel is a partner with Los Angeles law firm Allred, Maroko & Goldberg, where she has worked for more than 30 years. She handles employment cases related to sexual harassment, discrimination and wrongful termination, among others. She also has successfully represented young women in Title IX claims against educational institutions. She is a member of a number of high-esteemed associations and organizations in the community.
Dr. Linda Lopez '92 (2017 Distinguished Alumni Recipient)
As chief of the Office of Immigrant Affairs for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Linda Lopez has a strong voice in the state and national discussion on immigration policy. She also has been an associate dean at USC; program officer with the National Science Foundation; director for education and professional development programs with the American Political Science Association; and assistant professor of political science and director of the Legal Studies Program at Chapman University.
Lee Godown '79 (2015 Distinguished Alumni Recipient)
Lee Godown was a political insider in Washington for nearly 30 years. In 2007, he was named managing director of Public Strategies Inc., providing strategic planning for major corporations. He became vice president of Global Government Relations for General Motors Corp. in 2010 and was later named executive director of Federal Affairs for the company. He manages a staff of 150 governmental relations professionals in five global regions.