Political Science

Undergraduate Program

Required Core/Lower-Division Coursework (27 Units)

Our required core intends to introduce students to the seven subfields of political science in our lower-division courses. These core courses are the fundamental building blocks of our degree program. Students are required to take all nine lower-division core courses to have a basic understanding of all areas of the discipline.

Go to the Required Core/Lower-Division Coursework home page 

Electives/Upper-Division Coursework (24 Units)

After completing the lower-division requirements, students are allowed to then take upper-division elective courses from a selection of over 50 classes. Although students are required to take a minimum of two courses in three areas, we encourage students to specialize in a subfield of interest.  

Go to the Electives/Upper-Division Coursework home page 

Senior Capstone Project (6 units)

All Political Science majors complete capstone classes in Senior Thesis or Senior Internship. Both are a year-long sequence, in which students use their research skills and knowledge of the field to develop and conduct in-depth research projects. 

Go to the Political Science Senior Capstone home page 

General Education & Unrestricted Electives (63-72 Units)

Students should consult the catalog website for current information regarding these requirement. See the list of approved courses under General Education Requirements, Areas A through F. 

Minor in Political Science

Our department encourages majors from across colleges to take a minor in political science. The minor is designed to give students a fundamental understanding of the discipline, while also allowing for a closer examination of specific issues and contemporary problems in government. 

Go to the Minor in Political Science home page 

California Component Exam Information

To comply with requirements set forth by the State of California, we offer an exam for students that have taken the equivalent of Introduction to American Government (PLS 2010) in high school or an institution outside of California. 

Go to the California Component Exam Information home page