Skip To Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who is my advisor?
  2. If you are a Freshman or First Year student, you will be meeting with one of our advisors in the Engineering Advising Center.  If you are a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior, you will be meeting with a faculty advisor in your major department.

  3. What is a College Dean’s Hold?
  4. Every Fall and Winter quarter, there is a hold placed on your Bronco Direct account prohibiting you from registering until you meet with an advisor or attend a group advising session. In order to have the hold removed, you must schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor in the Engineering Advising Center. The second option is to attend a group advising session for your major department.

  5. Do I need to attend an advising session every quarter?
  6. Yes, for Fall and Winter quarters advising is MANDATORY.  Aside from these advising sessions, students are encouraged to visit the Engineering Advising Center anytime they need assistance or have questions regarding their progress.

  7. I am a Freshman, but Bronco Direct says I am a Sophomore. Do I still need to do First Year Advising?
  8. Yes, you still need to complete first year advising because you are a FIRST year student.

  9. Why do I change advisors after my first year?
  10. As you advance in your engineering studies, it is important to switch to your faculty advisor. The reason is because we encourage you to use faculty advising for mentorship and career advice. Our faculty are experts in their fields and have valuable insight to share with you as you enter your career.

  11. If I am not a first year student, can I still see an advisor?
  12. For general advising questions, you can see an advisor in the engineering advising center. If your question pertains to course content, upper division coursework or electives then you need to see your faculty advisor.

  13. I am a transfer student. Who is my advisor?
  14. You will need to meet with your faculty advisor in your major department. If you have questions pertaining to general education or your degree progress report please stop into our office.

  15. I have a probation hold on my account. What does this mean?
  16. If you have an academic probation hold then it means that you are falling below the academic standards of both the college and university. In order to have this hold removed, you will need to meet with an advisor in the Engineering Advising Center. If you are a Mechanical Engineering student with a hold from your department, you must visit your faculty advisor.

  17. If I am Disqualified, do I need to see an advisor?
  18. Yes. If you receive an e-mail and/or a hold indicating that you are disqualified, you must see an advisor immediately. An advisor will need to discuss with you the university policies regarding disqualification and your options with regard to academics.

  19. What happened to Subject to Disqualification standing?
  20. Starting Fall 2015, Cal Poly Pomona has discontinued the standing- Subject to Disqualification. Therefore, the two existing academic standings are Probation and Disqualification.

  21. There is a GPA hold on my Bronco Direct, what does that mean?
  22. If you have a GPA hold then you need to visit our center to meet with an advisor and have it lifted. We cannot lift holds via telephone or email. The GPA hold is placed when a student falls below a 2.2 CPP GPA threshold. This is when students are deemed “at-risk”. The University also places this hold when your CORE GPA falls below a 2.0.



Social Media

Sharing on Twitter Facebook Sharing on youtube Linkedin