Office of Admissions

Apply as an International Graduate

Cal Poly Pomona is home to over 35 graduate level programs, and welcomes international applicants to apply.  Applicants should upload unofficial college transcripts/marks to the Cal State Apply application, along with any test scores, statements, or essays.  Upon completing the admission application, please send along OFFICIAL college/university transcripts and marks by post. 

Applicants are encouraged to review the Graduate Application Guide (PDF) when completing the Cal State Apply application. 

For graduate programs that have an application deadline beyond 5/1, international applicants must submit an application no later than 5/1 to ensure sufficient time to obtain a visa. 

Requirements for International Masters/Graduate Students

English proficiency test requirements for international students
Exam Undergraduate Graduate

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

TOEFL iBT Home Edition and MyBest

71 iBT

71 iBT

80 iBT

80 iBT

100 (MA English Applicants)

92 - 93 (Masters Urban and Regional Planning Applicants)

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0


7.0 (MA English Applicants)

6.5 (Masters Urban and Regional Planning Applicants)

Duolingo English Test



120 (MA English Applicants)

115 (Masters Urban and Regional Planning Applicants)

English Proficiency Waivers:

  • If you possess a bachelor’s degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction
  • If you have studied at least 3 years of full‐time enrollment at a college/university where English is the principal language of instruction
  • Countries where English is the national language include: Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada (except Québec), Ghana, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, South Africa, Trinidad, the United Kingdom, the United States, Virgin Islands and Wales

After you submit your Cal State Apply application, you will be asked to provide CPP Office of Admission with your college transcripts.  The Office of Admissions will convert your international grades to the equivalent US 4.0 grade scale in order to ascertain your academic profile.  When requested, you must provide:

  • All transcripts/marksheets for college/university work completed
  • English translation (if marksheets are not in English)
  • If admitted to the university, you will need to provide OFFICIAL transcripts along with certified translations
  • While not required, it is strongly suggested that graduate applicants from non US institutions provide a professional credential evaluation from an accredited agency. Doing so may expedite the evaluation of your admission application and assist with determining your degree/course equivalency to CPP requirements.